Thursday, April 14, 2011

American Idol Top 8

This week's theme was "Music from the Movies" so in reality every contestant could pick a song that fit them.  While it was a good night, there wasn't anything truly extraordinary.  What I liked most about the episode was everyone back-talking Jimmy Iovine.  As one of the world's leading music moguls, it was fun seeing the contestants giving him some attitude and coming straight out and saying that he was wrong.  That's always something good to see in an artist.  It means they aren't going to let anyone change who they are.

Scotty McCreery
Scotty slayed me once again!  I swear, this kid can do no wrong.  He chose a George Strait song and absolutely killed it.  There was so much passion in his voice and in his eyes, and that transcended through the TV and into my living room.  I actually got goose bumps!  I personally prefer when Scotty sing ballads because it really shows off the strength and passion in his voice.  I hope next week he chooses a song that can truly show off his range.  I know he has it and I just want the American public to see it too.

Paul McDonald
Paul delivered once again!  I truly think he has really come into his own these past few weeks, and I hope he keeps it up.  Many people seem to think he will be going home tonight, and I truly hope he doesn't.  He is the first "quirky" person ever to make it this far on the show, and I really hope he makes it further.  His personality, his voice, his stage presence; he's an artist.  I really hope he sticks around a little while longer.  He gave another solid performance tonight.

Lauren Alaina
Lauren gave just an okay performance this week.  She chose to take on Miley's "The Climb," and while it was a much more superb vocal than Miley's, it was just okay.  She has an amazing set of pipes and deserves to make it to the Top 3, but she needs to pick a better song next week.  I still love her though!

Worst performance of the night has to go to Casey.  I consider myself a music connoisseur, but that jazz arrangement he did was atrocious.  I love someone who takes risks, but his vocals were all over the place and it was just horrible.  I could not believe when the judges gave him a standing ovation.  I also think Stefano and Haley were just alright.  Not really sure who will go home tonight.  I think either Haley, Stefano or Casey will go home.  Guess we just have to wait and see...  Rihanna will be performing "California King Bed" on the show tonight so look out for that.  She was originally going to sing "S&M" (which I would have much preferred), but she said it was too "inappropriate" for younger audiences.  Oh well, I guess we'll see it at the Billboard Music Awards in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment