Tuesday, March 29, 2011

'Femme Fatale' by Britney Spears


Britney Spears Week has begun here at the blog!  First up, here's my review of the highly-anticipated album 'Femme Fatale.'

1. Till the World Ends -  8/10

This could not have been a better way to start off the album.  The Ke$ha-penned track is the perfect club anthem that really describes the album as a whole.  While the oh-oh-ah-oh's can get annoying at times, Britney's voice is so well-suited to this song that it really doesn't bother me.  The song is a great feel-good, party song that just makes you want to dance "till the world ends."

2. Hold It Against Me -  6/10

The first single off the album was a very different Britney song than we're used to hearing.  One of the most obvious differences is that the song has dubstep influences and a really sick beat.  The other major difference is that Britney's tone of voice isn't the norm for a first single.  Usually she's all sexy, seductive and urgent, but in 'Hold It Against Me' she is almost pleading.  This is a very interesting approach for her, but I love it and it definitely did its job.  It's definitely one of the weaker tracks on the album, if you can believe that.  A #1 debut on the Billboard charts and critical acclaim says it all. 

3. Inside Out -  8/10

I totally love this song because it's a mid-tempo, but Britney's voice is so beautiful.  One of the things I love most about this album is that this is her strongest album in terms of vocals.  She's totally proving wrong all the haters out that that discredit her for her singing.  This song also has some great dubstep in it, less prominent but great nonetheless.  It's another one of those sexy and seductive Britney songs. 

4. I Wanna Go -  9/10

Ahhhh, the whistle just makes me shiver, I love it so much!!!  Definitely my second favorite track off the album.  This is one of those classic Britney songs that is uptempo and just darn catchy.  Nothing screams pop perfection like this song. 

5. How I Roll -  10/10

BEST. SONG. ON. THE. ALBUM. PERIOD.  This song totally blows me away.  It's so different than any song I've ever heard before, and is definitely different than the rest of the album.  Bloodshy and Avant, the creators of this song, are the ones who did 'Toxic' and I must say, this totally outshines it.  I really think she should release this song as her next single because it has the potential to be the song of the summer.  It's so fresh and breezy, but at the same time has an incredible beat.  I am in love. 

6. (Drop Dead) Beautiful [feat. Sabi] -  7/10

Not my favorite song off the album, but it's definitely a jam.  This song is more along the lines of 'Blackout' with the hard thumpin' bass and the auto-tuned vocals.  The guest rap from newcomer Sabi is definitely interesting.  I much rather would have preferred the rap to be done by Nicki Minaj.  Overall, good song. 

7. Seal It With a Kiss -  8/10

"Cross my heart and hope to die."  The dubstep is in full swing on this song and I couldn't be happier.  Britney's breezy and sexy voice coats this song like velvet.  It's such a great song and really resonates inside you.  It's also great some whoo-hoo-hoos that are reminiscent of 'I Wanna Go.'

8. Big Fat Bass (feat. will.i.am) -  9/10

"The bass is gettin' bigga, the bass is gettin' bigga!"  I was very pleasantly surprised by this track.  When I heard Britney was doing a song with the Black Eyed Peas front-man will.i.am I was a little surprised and a little scared.  Will.i.am's stuff is usually really auto-tuned to death and annoying, but this turned out extremely well..  It's very catchy and I love how Britney's voice is different in it.  It has the potential to be a great hit.

9. Trouble for Me -  8/10

Now this is a song with some big fat bass!  Again, it's another club banger, but it also shows off her strong vocals.  I love this kind of song because usually in her big club songs her voice is overwhelmed and kind of covered up.  Here it's in full swing and I love it.

10. Trip to My Heart -  8/10

Euro-pop is here!  The opening of the song is great.  This is a great dance song, but it has the lyrics and emotional connection of a ballad which I love.  It shows off Britney's more vulnerable side but at the same time adds a sort of outer-space feel to the song.  Beautiful Britney makes me smile :)

11. Gasoline -  8/10

This is very different from the rest of the album, but it is very reminiscent of 'Toxic.'  The song employs lots of guitar like is present in 'Toxic' and it definitely reminds me of the old Britney.  This is a fan favorite and I love it too.  Different, yet familiar.

12. Criminal -  8/10

The flute in the beginning totally sells me.  If a song could be on the opposite end of the spectrum from 'How I Roll' it would be 'Criminal.'  Britney sings about being in love with a guy who isn't good for her, but it's got a very intriguing beat behind it.  Again, it's a fan favorite, and it's songs like these that I really wish the public could hear.  They always seem to think she's just this pop singer made from a mold and that all of her songs sound the same.  This is one of those that really shows her diversity. 



Bonus Tracks -

13. Up n' Down -  7/10

Another euro-disco-pop song that'll have you groovin' through your bedroom.  It reminds very much of some of Cascada's music, but it's definitely nothing extraordinary.

14. He About to Lose Me -  9/10

If you want to hear Britney's voice, check this one out.  This is totally her 'Teenage Dream' song, and I kind of wish it had made it onto the album.  Britney's voice is simply stunning, and, again, this is one of those songs that the general public really needs to hear so that they can't discredit her for her voice.  Go Brit-Brit, show 'em how it's done!

15. Selfish -  7/10

"Tonight I'm gonna be a little selfish, be a little selfish."  One of the lines from the album that is stuck in my head.  Once again it's just another great pop song from the Queen.  Nothing to complain about. 

16. Don't Keep Me Waiting -  7/10

Could this song scream anymore Alanis Morisette?  Alanis is one of Britney's idols, so I can definitely tell what influenced this song.  It's the power of Rock-ney.  Again, this is one of the reasons why I love Britney because she is so diverse.  She is not just some pop puppet - she's a chameleon. 

17. Scary -  9/10

Okay guys, this is an amazing song!  It just came out today and it's incredible.  It's classic pop Britney, but it sounds very similar to a Michael Jackson song.  This should have totally made it onto the album it's that good.  Best way to end an incredible album :)

Notable tracks:  'How I Roll,' 'Big Fat Bass' and 'Inside Out.'

Overall, I give the album a 9/10.  At the moment I still feel like 'Blakout' is her best album, and this is in the number 2 position, but what I love most about this album is that Britney's voice has returned.  She is really showing it off whereas on 'Blackout' we were listening to Robot-ney.  No matter if you hate her or love her you must buy a copy of the album.  It's pop perfection.

You can purchase the album from iTunes HERE.

2 comments:

  1. I am totally taking your advice and downloading "How I Roll".
    So glad I have you to listen to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would tell you to check out a few other songs but I would probably just end up listing the entire CD. It really is great. If anything, check out 'Big Fat Bass' and 'I Wanna Go.' You can't go wrong with those :)

    ReplyDelete