Sunday, April 3, 2011

'E.T. (feat. Kanye West)' Music Video by Katy Perry

Katy Perry's music video for her newest single 'E.T.' was just released on Thursday, and I must say, it is a pretty epic music video.  It seems like Katy took a page out of GaGa's book and went for a futuristic and zany look for her newest single.  Ever since I first listened to this song when she released her album 'Teenage Dream' I knew it would be a smash, and I had envisioned the video in my head.  This definitely surpassed my expectations.

The hair, the make-up, the wardrobe, the aesthetic qualities of the video; everything is to die for.  Katy has never delivered such a great video before.  The video takes place with "Alien Katy" flying through space and eventually landing on Earth.  She begins walking around and finds what she is looking for.  When I saw it my first thought was "Wall-E!"  She has found her futuristic lover, she awakens him, and then they walk off into the distance.  All of this does not occur though without some creepy animal videos flashed periodically throughout the video (if you pay attention closely there is one scene with two monkeys having sex), and Katy turning into some half-goat creature.
I only have two qualms with the video.  The first one has to do with the reality of the situation.  While she is floating and spinning in space, her dress is blowing around as if there is wind.  Come on - there is no wind in space.  Just a minor qualm, but I guess it makes the video look better.  The second problem I have is Kanye West.  I thought the song was extraordinary, but Kanye just killed it.  I have already voiced my opinion on Kanye, so suffice it to say that he ruined a great song.  His raps were atrocious and did not fit the beat of the song at all.  How could you let him do this Katy?
I really thought this video was great and I hope that Katy keeps up the good work.  She has a long way to go before she'll ever reach pop royalty status, but if she keeps this up she could be in pop music for a very long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment