Thursday, February 24, 2011

'S&M' Music Video by Rihanna


So, I decided to blog about this video in particular because of its "content."  I have loved Rihanna ever since she released 'Umbrella,' and even though she doesn't always deliver the best live performances, she always creates great, catchy, fun pop music.  'S&M' is quickly becoming my favorite Rihanna song EVER.  It is so catchy, and I think that the risqué lyrics are what make it even more fun.  But of course, what I'm focusing on here is the video.


If anything, I think this video is an improvement upon the song.  To begin with, the video is a bright and colorful collage of images that adds to the spontaneity and tongue-in-cheek style of the song.  One of the very first scenes that we see is Rihanna wrapped in plastic wrap answering the paparazzi's questions.  I love this part of the video because it really shows how the press distorts the truth and produces false images of celebrities.  This is sort of Rihanna exacting her revenge on the paps, and I absolutely love it!


Next comes the risqué-ness of the video.  Throughout the rest of the video Rihanna is seen as a dominatrix: in one scene she is walking celebrity blogger Perez Hilton on a leash like a dog, she is in a leather outfit (pictured above) tying up and "sexually torturing" the police, and in another she is just having some rambunctious fun with some other friends.  I personally love all this because it exposes the American public to something they need to be more comfortable with.  After living in Europe for the past 5 1/2 years, I have come to know a culture where sexuality is very brazen and isn't hidden.  Everything is just out there and nobody really thinks twice.  The Europeans are a very open people, and I really admire that.  I hate the I live back here in the U.S. because everything is so hush-hush.  Songs like this one can't even be played on the radio during the daytime, and the video is banned throughout the country.  Why is this?  Americans are just so sheltered and they feel like they have to protect their children.  The American people blow everything out of proportion, and it is such a shame.   Society definitely needs a change.  Why do we have to live in a place where everything is looked down on and hidden from the view of kids?

Enough on that rant, but I truly think that Rihanna brought her game in this video.  She is doing exactly what I feel needs to be done: she is bringing this to the attention of people and letting them know that they just need to loosen up and live.  Life can be fun and colorful even with "sex and masturbation" (which the title means, for those of you who don't know).  People just need to live life and explore what the world has to offer.  This whole hush-hush societal thing that's going on needs to leave.  Now.


No comments:

Post a Comment