Tuesday, April 24, 2012

'Saturday Night Glee-ver' by Glee

Last week Glee brought us another tribute episode episode for one of the most iconic movies in pop culture: Saturday Night Fever.  While I have never seen the film (don't shoot me!), I know everyone has at least heard a few of the Bee Gees' infamous disco songs.  I know these songs all too well because of my dad who is a big fan of the group, and while this episode would definitely be a take-it-or-leave-it scenario since disco is not everyone's forte, it definitely was a fun one for all those parents out there who grew up with this film as well as all of us out there who appreciate different genres of music.  I thought it was actually a really great episode, and there were some stellar vocal performances from the Gleeksters.

I don't normally like these types of performances where it's a dream-like sequence, but what saved it was Blaine and the dancing.  It started off very awkward and a little corny, but seeing the full-fledged dance routine near the end with Blaine, Brittany and Mike totally saved it.  Blaine's got some moves!  I also thought that they sang the song really well and kept it faithful to the original.

This was the weakest portion of the show in terms of the vocals.  It was fun seeing everyone show off their moves on the iconic dance floor (fun fact: the dance floor used is the same one used in the original movie).  But other than being "background" music, this was a little boring.  It was definitely interesting hearing Will use his falsetto, but not spectacular enough to woo me.

You all know how much I love Mercedes, and I'm always complaining that she never gets great solos.  Well, this week Mercedes killed it!  This was definitely my favorite number of the night because Mercedes sang circles around the song.  She belted it, and put some major power behind every note.  What I loved even more was that Sam recorded the performance and put in on YouTube.  I'm assuming that this is going to lead to her being discovered and hopefully becoming a star.  I feel like she's become a secondary character this year which is a shame because she's one of my favorites.

Santana is back!!  Every time she gets up and sings she kills it, and this was no difference.  Santana not only can sing amazingly but she is also a great performer, and I felt like she delivered 100% on this one.  This was a cry for fame by whatever means necessary which prompted Brittany to post their sextape online which I thought was a ridiculous storyline.

This one is Rachel trying to make up with Finn after their previous argument.  Rachel of course has a beautiful voice and this was a sweet song, but I didn't find it to be anything special.  Just a filler song for me.

Okay, so this one has me a little conflicted.  After a long time of waiting we were finally introduced to the final person of the Glee Project contestants, Alex Newell, who plays Wade, a Vocal Adrenaline member, who believes he is a truly a woman.  I didn't like the storyline at all and I find Alex to be soooo annoying, but the musical number and his voice is really incredible.  He blew the roof off with this song and the performance was fierce, but the storyline just seemed very underdeveloped and wafer-thin.

It's time for Finn to give the Bee Gees a shot.  He pulls it off quite well, but the performance fell a little flat for me.  Nothing too exciting.  In this scene he tells Rachel that he will go to New York with her and decides to enroll in the Actors Studio to pursue an acting career.

And now for the most iconic disco song in history!  This is one of my favorite songs, and it was so much fun seeing the entire Glee Club, with the addition of Sue and her baby bump, dressed in their white polyester suits, dancing around on stage.  It was one of those feel good moments that ended the show which I love.

Other than what I have already mentioned, Santana is given a full scholarship to one of the top cheerleading colleges in the country by Sue per Brittany's request.  The two reaffirm their love and it's a happy ending for everyone.  This upcoming week we have a Whitney Houston tribute, which should be fun as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment