Friday, August 23, 2013

Countdown of the Best VMA Performances: Part 1

The 2013 MTV Video Music Awards air this coming Sunday, August 25th, so I thought I'd come up with a list of my Top 10 favorite VMA performances from it's inception in 1984. There have been some incredible performances over the years so this was a hard list to whittle down. I apologize in advance if there's a lot of Britney and Madonna; I just couldn't help myself! I tired to not be too biased in making the list, but then again these are my favorite performances. The last few years of the VMAs haven't been very good, but 2013 appears set and ready to bring one of the best shows in VMAs history. Let's get to it!

10. Madonna: 'Like a Virgin' (1984)
First up is Madonna's performance of 'Like a Virgin'. At the time it was a pretty provocative performance with a young Madge rolling around in a wedding gown, feeling herself up with an exposed garter. It's pretty tame by today's standards, but I had to include this because it is the very first VMAs performance ever done. Madonna opened the inaugural show, and set the standard for what performances at the VMAs were to be.


9. Beyoncé: 'Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)' (2009)
I remember watching this Bey performance and just being blown away. It was five minutes of incredible choreography as Beyoncé was surrounded by all her single ladies, hearkening back to Eminem's show-stopping performance. Beyoncé is a one-of-a-kind performer, and she gave me chills that night.


8. Eminem: 'The Real Slim Shady/The Way I Am' (2000)
Eminem is one of the biggest rappers of all time, and for many years he had to prove why he should be respected as an artist. His performance at the 2000 VMAs was his big moment. He came out with Slim Shady lookalikes in order to prove a point: there is only one Slim, and he most definitely stood up that night! Who says rappers can't give awesome performances?


7. Chris Brown and Rihanna: 'Wall To Wall/Umbrella/Kiss Kiss' (2007)
Now this one may shock you - I'm actually shocked writing it myself. It's hard to believe there was a time when Chris Brown was a respected artist, and I actually danced and sang along to his songs. And there was a time before he became a woman beater and a complete nut job. The 2007 VMAs were a night when everything was overshadowed by Britney's opening 'Gimme More' performance which no one will ever forget for all the wrong reasons, but this little gem remains. I remember watching it, being wowed by Chris' dance moves, and then Rihanna stepped out and I almost died. It was a performance that I will never forget and one that I will actually give Chris Brown credit where credit is due. Sometimes powerful memories can overshadow what has transpired.


6. Britney Spears: 'Satisfaction/Oops!...I Did It Again' (2000)
Who will ever forget this performance? This is one of Britney's most memorable, mainly because it was the first time that she had done something very provocative. She came down the steps dressed to the nines in a suit singing her cover of 'Satisfaction', and then out of nowhere she rips her clothes off and performed 'Oops!' in a nude colored bodysuit which mimics her later naked scene she did in her 'Toxic' music video. Britney entertains and provokes each time she steps on stage, and I don't think anyone can forget the moment she proclaimed that she was a woman, not just some teeny bopper.


Make sure to check back on Sunday as I reveal the final five performances that top my list. And you can rest assured that the King, Queen and Princess of Pop will all be represented ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment