Tuesday, June 28, 2011

'4' by Beyonce Album Review

Let me start off by saying that in order to enjoy this album you must go into listening to it with no pre-conceived notions, and you must listen to it at least three times before you make a judgement.  So it would be better off if you listen to the album first before you read my review.  '4' is a very noticeable departure for Ms. Knowles in terms of the sound and the production value.  Beyonce is one of my favorite artists, but this time around she is taking a much more laid back approach, and diving into the hearts and souls of all her fans instead of trying to make hit #1 songs.  To be honest, not a single one of the songs of the album will be #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, but that is the exact approach she was going for.  In the end, I think that it paid off very well.

1. 1+1 - 7/10

Beyoncé performed this song on the American Idol finale a few weeks back, and I was very underwhelmed.  It's one of the weaker songs on the album, but I think it is an interesting choice to be the opening song since it's a ballad.  I think it works though since it is very representative of the album as a whole.  My favorite line is "I don't know much about Algebra, but I know that 1+1=2".

2.  I Care - 8/10

This is a nice mid-tempo that is just overflowing with emotion.  I don't know if I've ever heard Beyoncé sing with so much emotion in her voice.  Its actually very entrancing, and the dark beat only adds to that.  The pain and hurt in her voice really makes this one of my favorite tracks on the album.

3.  I Miss You - 7/10

This song could have fit in well with her previous album 'I Am...Sasha Fierce' because I think it's a beautiful Beyoncé-ballad.  Another heart-wrenching song with her beautiful vocals overlaying the suave beat.  In some ways it almost reminds me of a lullaby.

4.  Best Thing I Never Had - 10/10

Best song on the album so far.  It's everything you could want from Beyoncé on a mid-tempo.  Simply delicious.  Check out my full review HERE.

5.  Party (feat. André 3000 & Kanye West) - 9/10

We finally have our first uptempo styling from Ms. Knowles.  It reminds me a lot of her single 'Ego' with the big bass drum in the background, and the very urban feel to it.  I think it's a classic R&B groove, and I definitely could see it as a future single because I could see it doing well with a great video to accompany it.

6.  Rather Die Young - 6/10

After a brief divergence from the slow pace of the album, we come back to a mid-tempo that is also very classic Beyoncé in the chorus, but not in the verses.  To be honest, I only like the chorus and the bridge of the song.  The verses are just simply boring and never really go anywhere.  They just left me flat.

7.  Start Over - 7/10

This is actually a pretty solid mid-tempo.  It presents Beyoncé's strong voice in a very pleading nature.  I also love the crescendoing and intensity of the song as it escalates through the chorus' just as Beyoncé is saying "maybe we climbed the mountain top". 

8.  Love On Top - 9/10

This has to be my second favorite track on the album.  It's got a very retro, throw-back vibe to it; classic R&B.  Beyoncé's just having fun with this one.  It also kind of reminds me of something from 'Dreamgirls'.  This song could have fit in perfectly with the musical.  Just a fun and groovy song. 

9.  Countdown - 9/10

Another classic Bey song.  It reminds me a lot of 'Get Me Bodied' from the classic 'B'Day' album.  It's an uptempo dance song that I could see a great video for.  This could definitely be released as a single. 

10. End of Time - 9/10

Another typical Beyoncé song.  It definitely sounds like something that would have been on 'B'Day' as well.  I love the drum line in the background, very reminiscent of 'Run the World (Girls)'.  Again, I think this one would do well on the charts, but maybe not as well as the others.

11. I Was Here - 7/10

We return to one more ballad before reaching the finale of the album.  It starts off very eerie, and then segues into a Beyoncé driven ballad complete with an orchestra.  The bridge is probably the most exciting part of the song, but then it kind of dies off again.  The song doesn't go anywhere for me musically, but Bey's voice is incredible. 

12. Run the World (Girls) - 8/10

Since this song has come out it has grown on me more and more.  Read my initial reaction HERE.  I have actually come to really like this song, but it feels very out of place on the album; sort of like it was just slapped at the end because it didn't fit in anywhere else.  Don't get me wrong, I like it and all, but it just seems like it was meant to be a hit even though it didn't fit with the overall concept and mood of the album.

Target Exclusive Bonus Tracks -

13.  Dreaming

*Review coming soon*

14. Lay Up Under Me - 8/10

This is a total retro, throwback song like none other.  It could have come straight out of previous decades.  It's a very fun song though, and you can see that Beyoncé is just letting her spirit run wild and free here.

15. Schoolin' Life - 8/10

The lyrics here are very interesting, if you listen to them closely.  It's also got a very different beat than you normally hear Beyoncé with - very rock influenced.  I think the lyrics make the whole song what it is.

16. Dance For You - 7/10

The song has a great beat, but that's about it.  It's a very sultry, dirty beat with Beyoncé taking on a more seductive role, but it's nothing special.

Noteworthy Tracks - 'Best Thing I Never Had', 'Party', 'Love On Top', and 'Countdown'

Overall it was a pretty decent album.  I think that '4' comes in at #3 when ranking her albums ('B'Day' being her best, and 'I Am...Sasha Fierce' coming in at #2).  Like I mentioned before you must give this one multiple listens to enjoy its goodness.  If a few of the bonus tracks were to replace a few songs on the first half of the album then I think Ms. Knowles could have made an extraordinary album, rather than just a great album.

No comments:

Post a Comment