Tuesday, March 10, 2015

'Believe' by Mumford & Sons

I'm going to keep it one hundred. When Mumford & Sons first debuted I hated them. I didn't like anything they did. But then after hearing 'I Will Wait' for a million times on the radio I started getting addicted, and now I absolutely love them and their sound. And now that I'm comfortable, they're switching things up!

The band are releasing their new album Wilder Mind on May 4th, and they've just given us a taste of the new direction they're going in. 'Believe' leaves behind their signature folk stylings for more of a Coldplay sound.

The song starts with a slow build as Marcus Mumford's voice is stripped back and raw. Bass and percussion begin coming in, and then after almost two minutes an electric guitar riff blows in ramping up the energy. Mumford sings, "I don't even know if I believe / Everything you're trying to say to me," before reaching the massive sing-along chorus. I'm not sure if leaving behind their old sound is a smart move, but this direction is good too.

Mumford & Sons's third studio album, Wilder Mind, will be released on May 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment