Saturday, November 29, 2014

'Rebel Heart' and 'Wash All Over Me' by Madonna

Her Madgesty, the one true Queen of Pop, has been working on her follow up to 2012's MDNA for quite some time now. From bathroom selfies to studio pics to grills on fleek, Madonna has been Instagramming her life away, constantly teasing her new work. For months, #UnapologeticBitch and #RebelHeart have been among the most common hashtags, but we've finally got something to work with.

Yesterday, two new Madge tracks leaked. A snippet of 'Rebel Heart' leaked first with the full track coming late at night. The Magnus Lidehäll-produced song is giving a very strong American Life vibe in the verses, but once it gets to the chorus things get major.

“So I took the road less traveled by and I barely made it out alive / Through the darkness somehow I survived / Tough love, I knew it from the start, deep down in my rebel heart,” Madonna sings on the chorus, giving us a bit of 'Like a Virgin' meets this older and wiser Madonna. We haven't heard this sing-along, more artsy thing from Madge in a very long time and it's refreshing.




Then comes, 'Wash All Over Me' which is my personal favorite. Avicii has been all over Madonna's social media pages recently, and we are finally hearing his work. The song starts off with a beautiful orchestral opening before delving into a dark disco pop beat very reminiscent of her masterpiece, Confessions on a Dance Floor.

“In a world that’s changing, I’m a stranger in a strange land / There’s a contradiction and I’m stuck here in between / Life is like a desert, an oasis, too confusing / So I walk this razor’s edge / Will I stand or will I fall?” she quivers over the powerful House beat. With a piano tinkling throughout the chorus and an odd Tower of Babylon reference, Madge has a euphoric anthem on her hands.


Madonna is supposedly going to drop her Nicki Minaj, Diplo, and Avicii-assisted new album on iTunes at any moment, going for that Beyoncé trick. Who knows when it's going to come, but I'm here for this new Madonna who is finally taking her music seriously again.

No comments:

Post a Comment