Wednesday, December 3, 2014

'Big Eyes' and 'I Can Fly' by Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey has solidified herself as the Queen of Soundtracks. Her contribution to The Great Gatsby, 'Young & Beautiful', and 'Once Upon a Dream' for Maleficent have showed Lana can take on any challenge, and now she's giving us two new songs for Tim Burton's new film Big Eyes due out on Christmas.

The title track from the film sees Lana abandon the moody guitars of her Ultraviolence LP and return to her classic grand sound. 'Big Eyes' is jazzy with haunting piano melodies and squealing trumpets. Lana is sure there's something going on with her man as she hauntingly sings, "I saw you creeping 'round the garden, what are you hiding? / I beg your pardon, don't tell me nothing / I used to think that I could trust you / I was your woman, you were my knight and shining companion."

The second song, 'I Can Fly', could easily have been left off of Paradise. The song opens with that grand orchestra and flurry of strings, and soon we are launched into a more positive sound. Lana sounds less distraught than normal, singing: "I had a dream that I was fine. I wasn't crazy…I was divine." It's nice to hear the lighter side of her from time to time.

This Christmas, Lana will be injecting her summertime sadness so that we never forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment