Monday, July 18, 2011

It All Ends

Sorry I didn't get around to this earlier.  This past weekend ended up being a lot busier than I thought, and this post is something that needed to have time on its side.  Sitting here writing this is really starting to make me think about the fact that the Harry Potter series is basically over.  While we still have Pottermore to look forward to, it's not going to be anything that will be at this level.  After seven books and eight movies, the Harry Potter series has finally been completed, and while it is sad, it is also nice to see that it has finally been accomplished and accomplished so well.  Everyone has their qualms with film adaptions of books, but I don't think that you can really complain about the Potter series when you compare other adaptions that have failed miserably and simply ruined the legacy of its book.  J.K. Rowling has been a part of the process since day one, and she has been determined to make sure that the film interpretation never derived from the story too much.  I also think that the dedication of the fans was another factor in the success of the series.  If the film producers had strayed too far I think there would have been a mutiny led by the fans that would insure that that kind of mistake would never happen again.  Even though Part 2 was the shortest film of the series, I think the movie is truly the best in terms of adaption and the story telling through the acting of the cast.  Well, here we go.
 
First off, I decided that I would see the movie in 3D just for the experience.  I didn't think that it would be anything incredible, and I was quite right.  The 3D adaption didn't add anything to the movie, and at times I felt like I was watching it in 2D.  But you just can't pass up the chance to see it in 3D.
 
I really liked that the movie started off the way it did because it was like you weren't seeing a separate movie.  It literally picked up right where Part 1 ended, and you were immediately thrown into the action and the plot progressed.  I would have liked to see a little bit more of Bill and Fleur than was shown because I felt like they didn't really flesh them out all that much, but oh well.  The whole Gringotts sequence was great, and Helena Bonham Carter portraying Hermione as Bellatrix while under the influence of polyjuice potion was hilarious.  I have to say that in the movies Bellatrix is one of my favorite characters.  I really feel like they did justice to her character and created something even better than what Rowling created.

The biggest thing that I think was lacking from the movie (part 1 as well) was the whole Dumbledore back story.  That, to me, is what made the book even more amazing and addicting because you truly did not know Dumbledore's back story, and Rowling kept portraying him as devious until the very end.  The meeting in the movie with Aberforth felt a little rushed and even a little awkward simply because the whole Dumbledore plot line was gotten rid of.  I understand that it probably would have been difficult to portray it on screen, but I felt that it was necessary.
The entire Battle of Hogwarts was brilliantly done, and I really felt the strife and struggle that the characters were going through.  That sense of urgency was simply radiating off of the screens the entire time.  Other than Molly Weasley's classic line "Not my daughter you BITCH!", my favorite part would have been Minerva McGonagall's lines.  The way she delivered her lines were highly amusing and entertaining, and I only wish that she had had more screen time in some of the earlier movies because she was always one of my favorite characters.  Neville was also given some great lines, especially when confronted with the werewolves.  I think the producers really made the battle on a grander scale than I ever could have imagined, and it really made for some epic moments.  With the death of Fred I feel like they should have shown it actually occur because I for sure would have been bawling my eyes out.  They just kind of glossed over it which I could have done without.  One point that my mom made that I totally agree with is the fact that every time there was a sad moment they never dwelled on it.  Those moments were not prolonged to the point that they were overkill; they simply happened and then the story moved on.  In some of the less extreme scenes Ron would give some comedic release that ushered the story on in a fun way.
Professor Severus Snape.  The Snape scenes were probably the highlight of the movie for me.  I thought that Snape's death was executed brilliantly, and I liked the idea of his memories being transferred through a tear.  It was one of the times when I shed a tear myself.  I was highly anticipating the pensieve scene, simply because it was one of my favorite moments in the book because you finally learn the truth about Snape.  This was the time during the movie in which I cried the most.  Seeing the love that Snape had for Lily was painful, and then when he walks into Godric's Hollow and he reacts to the death of Lily it ended up being the pinnacle of the movie for me.  It was gut-wrenching.  Who would have thought that Severus Snape would make the movie for me?

I also thought that the King's Cross scene was done very well.  I loved the cinematography on it, and they way it was presented.  Dumbledore was great as usual.  I also thought that the Epilogue was done well.  I felt that the characters really didn't look as old as they should have, but it was much better than getting older people to play them.  Ginny was definitely the worst, but that did not hinder the scene in any way.  As I was watching the last scene ever of a Potter film I teared up, but not because I was sad.  I was simply reliving all the fond memories I have of the Harry Potter series as a whole, and how much joy it has brought me throughout my life.  The films have been done exquisitely and I could not be happier.  I only hope that the film gets the recognition it deserves in the upcoming awards season in order to celebrate the incredible series.  I loved it, and I know you will love it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment