Thursday, December 1, 2011

The X Factor USA: Top 7

We made it to the inevitable artist-themed week and it's none other than the King of Pop, Michael Jackson!  Michael Jackson songs tend to fare well on these reality shows, but you never know what can happen.  Unbeknownst to the judges, the Jackson family was in attendance, and if I was one of the contestants I would not have been able to perform.  What pressure that would be!  All-in-all the contestants did pretty well, with Chris Rene delivering the weakest performance of the night.

Astro
I was intrigued to see what Astro would pull out of the bag, and he did a decent job with 'Black and White'.  It definitely wasn't his best performance, but as always his lyrics are very clever and he is going to have a viable career after the show.

Drew
While it was a hauntingly beautiful performance, I just can't get over the fact that she basically sang the Chris Cornell version of 'Billie Jean' and didn't really make any changes to it.  Other than that she delivered once again, and there is no doubt in my mind that she will make it to the finale.

Rachel Crow
Simon and Rachel just must not be connecting with each other.  All of Simon's song choices just haven't been right for Rachel, and this one was probably the worst choice.  She got swallowed up in the production, and I really couldn't even hear her vocals.  I love Rachel, but I think she may be in danger this week.

Melanie Amaro
Melanie sang my all-time favorite MJ song: 'Earth Song'!!!  There really aren't many songs in the world that can top this one so I was excited to hear Melanie's rendition of it.  It was interesting hearing it sung with big vocals since we all know Michael never had much of a range and could never belt, but it was a nice change.  Melanie sang her heart out and that was my favorite performance of the night.

As always, Marcus and Chris were the weakest of the night.  Marcus got swallowed up by the production and Chris was just plain horrendous.  When he sang the big notes I was waiting for the blood to come gushing out of my ears.  And not only did he sing it terribly, but it was one MJ's best songs and the one that Mariah Carey is known for singing, 'I'll Be There'.  I can't believe they even let him do that on stage: sacrilegious.  If I had it my way Chris and Marcus would be going home this week, but I think Rachel and Astro may be in trouble.  Chris' fan base is seemingly large so he may squeak by for another week or two, unfortunately.  Let's see what happens in this week's Double Elimination!

No comments:

Post a Comment