Thursday, January 19, 2012

'Yes/No' by Glee


Glee returned with its midseason premiere this past Tuesday, and it was well worth the wait.  The episode centered around relationships, mainly that of Will and Emma as they neared their proposal, but it also was very emotional with Finn learning the true past of his father as well as seeing the softer side of Sue.  The first half of the episode was a bit awkward, but the latter half was Glee at its finest.  Season 3 is riding strong, so let's only hope they can keep the momentum up.

The episode started off with a bang as the Gleeksters recreated a scene from the classic musical 'Grease' with the duet being sung between Mercedes and Sam.  I actually thought Sam nailed John Travolta's part, and the whole scene was a great homage to the classic film.  I really do hope that Sam and Mercedes will get back together soon because I think they make a great couple.

I didn't necessarily care for this one because it was cheesy and a bit awkward, but it's always nice to hear Emma sing.  These are the moments of Glee that I don't care for, but some people like it so to each their own.

When I heard Glee was doing 'Moves Like Jagger' I was very excited because it's one of my favorite songs right now.  Mixing it with 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' was a nice flourish, but I really didn't like Artie singing it.  Something just felt off about it.  The performance, however, was a lot of fun and brought some liveliness to the show that had me groovin'.

The ability to give me goosebumps is the best measure of a song and a performance's greatness, and, wouldn't you know it, this one have me a huge case of the goosebumps.  I've always loved this song (especially Leona Lewis' rendition), but the New Directions women took it to a whole other level.  Beautiful rendition.

Oh.  My.  God.  I think this may be the BEST rendition that has ever been done on Glee.  I was literally blown away as Rachel began singing.  Not only was it emotional, but taking a huge electro-pop song and turning it into a powerful ballad laden with strings rocketed this song to the top.  There's no wonder why it's the number one song on iTunes.  THIS is why I love Glee.

How does Will propose to Emma?  With a flash mob set to Rihanna's smash hit 'We Found Love' in the pool, of course!  For the happy couple there couldn't have been a better way for them to get engaged.  The song was great, and the flash mob in the pool was a unique twist.  Artie rolling into the pool had to be one of the funniest things ever.  What better way to propose?

The episode also saw the introduction of NeNe Leakes as the synchronized swim team coach, Roz Washington.  She was absolutely hilarious and will be a good addition to the cast!  Learning about Finn's dad's troubled past was heartbreaking to watch, but it also showed how much depth Finn has.  And what about that huge surprise in the end?  Finn proposing to Rachel?  I could see it coming, but it was still a shock.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out because I really don't know what Rachel will say.  Glee's as good as ever, and I can't wait to see the big Michael Jackson tribute episode in two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment