Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fresh Out the Oven: 'Triumphant (Get 'Em)'

Mariah Carey's last album, Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel, came out in 2009, and we really haven't heard much from her since then because the album was a huge flop and then she had her twins. Just this afternoon, Mariah released the first single off her upcoming album which will coincide nicely with her gig as a judge on American Idol next year. This single, 'Triumphant (Get 'Em)', is near and dear to Mimi's heart because of its positive and uplifting message, but I've got to say, she bombed pretty bad with this one. The lyrics are fine and Mariah's voice is as divine as ever, but she really only sings for maybe 35% of the song. The other 65% is all Rick Ross and Meek Mill. If I wanted to listen to them then I would get their music, but I'm here for Mariah. For a song that would reignite her career, this was a poor choice. I love that she's going back to her urban/R&B roots, but she needs to stop with all these collabos. Her voice is perfect, and that's all I want to hear. Hopefully the song will grow on me, but as of now, I call this one a bust.

No comments:

Post a Comment