Sunday, October 21, 2012

Meeting My Idol

Where do I even begin with a post as big as this? How do you even put into words how you felt when you met the biggest inspiration in your life? Well, hopefully I can relate to you how it felt to meet the woman who has changed an entire generation of kids as well as the world of children's literature, the woman who inspired me to become a writer, and the woman that I look up to and aspire to be. This is the day I met J.K. Rowling.

J.K. Rowling's first publication since the Harry Potter series ended all those years ago, The Casual Vacancy is a book for grown-ups (as Jo herself likes to put it) that focuses on a small English town, Pagford, that becomes a center of deceit and back-stabbing as Barry Faribrother leaves a vacancy on the town council after his death. The book is a far cry from Potter as it explores sex, self-mutilation, drug addiction, abuse and various other social concerns that plague us today. It's a novel that's as grounded in the real world as you can get, and frankly it's a masterpiece. What Jo accomplishes in this novel is a true feat that not many authors can claim to do.

Over the summer it was announced that Jo's sole U.S. book signing was going to take place at Lincoln Center in New York City, and as soon as I saw that I knew I had to go. Just another perk of going to college in NYC! No matter what it took I was going to secure a ticket even if it meant having to camp out for days. Luckily, we were able to buy tickets online, but even that turned into a fiasco I wish to never revistit. Suffice it to say, Lincoln Center's ticketing system had a malfunction and double booked a couple hundred seats. This lead to huge uproar because the theater couldn't hold all the people who bought tickets so Jo graciously allowed the event to move to the David H. Koch theater (home of the ballet), and allowed all roughly 1700 of us to meet her and get our books signed. How she signed that many copies in just a couple hours I cannot even begin to fathom. So thankfully I was able to purchase two tickets (one for me and one for my roommate who is a huge Rowling fan as well) before they sold out minutes after going on sale.
So October 16th arrived; the day I would meet my hero. We headed up to the theater, picked up our tickets and got situated. I cannot tell you enough how beautiful the theater was and how great our seats were. We were in the first balcony in the third row back, basically in the center of the row, and had a straight shot view of the stage. It really could not have been more perfect. Soon the head of the publishing company Little, Brown came out to introduce the author Ann Pratchett who would be interviewing Jo. And then came the big moment. The auditorium erupted with applause so fervent that it warranted a standing ovation before Jo even walked out on stage. You can imagine what it was like when the man finally said "And please welcome J.K. Rowling," and Jo herself came walking out on stage.
For the first couple minutes of the interview, Ann Patchett basically lauded Jo with the profound effect she has had on the world with her writing, and then of course praising her for the incredible book that is The Casual Vacancy. As you can imagine, during this we erupted in applause every couple of seconds, and at one point Ann even told us we might need a sedative so that we could get through the night. It was obvious that the crowd was excited to see Jo on her only signing stop outside of the U.K. Ann Patchett was actually a really amazing interviewer and it was so cool watching two writers exchange ideas and talk about the intricacies of the writing process. As a writer myself, I was in heaven and soaked up every sliver of information I could.
What a lot of people don't realize about Jo is how down to earth and funny she really is. Somehow, the conversation turned towards Fifty Shades of Grey and Jo had some fun retorts to share with us. She told us that the difference between that book and hers is that "people have sex in this book, but no one really enjoys it." Another fun tidbit came when talking about where and with what she writes her material, Jo remarked, “This is going to sound like a product placement, but I’ll say it anyway - the MacBook Air changed my life.” What really struck me about this interview was how entrancing Jo is. There were times (as evidenced above) when the theater was filled with raucous laughter, and then there were moments where it was so deathly silent that you could literally hear a pin drop. Everyone clung on to every word that left her lips, and she had us all under her spell. It was such a treat to listen to her. After about 45 minutes of chatting, Jo headed over to the podium to do a reading. She chose to read the catastrophic dinner party scene. Here's what went down:
God, I could listen to this woman talk for the rest of my life. She has the perfect voice, and hearing her read her own material is simply stunning. After the reading, she did a fifteen minute Q&A consisting of questions submitted by the fans in attendance. This was actually a really great segment because the fans asked some really intriguing questions. The most interesting was probably regarding what fictional place she would like to live in. She mentioned Pride and Prejudice (because she has a little thing for Mr. Darcy), Hogwarts of course, but in the end she chose the magical place from a childhood book her mother used to read to her. The event came to a close, there was even more deafening applause, and then it was time to get our books signed. But first we had to wait. Since we were in the first balcony it only took half an hour to get through the whole orchestra. At exactly 9:30 we headed out to the second floor landing where we queued up. The line only took about fifteen minutes to get through and then we got a copy of the book and could see Jo. You can't even begin to imagine what I was feeling at this point. I snapped a few pictures and then waited my turn to meet my idol.
My roommate was ahead of me and he handed her the letter he had written (I wrote one too) and asked her if she would read it. She said of course she would, and then the letter handler took the letter. This was probably the only unpleasant part of the night. The lady taking the letters was really rude, and when I stepped up to Jo the lady basically snatched the letter out of my hand, detracting precious seconds from me staring at my Queen. Thankfully, I regrouped myself and said "Hi! I can't believe I'm meeting you right now." She was like "Aww, thanks" and then she signed my book, handed it back to me and I replied "Thank you so much." I promised myself I wouldn't choke up this time, and I was so happy that I actually had a conversation with the woman who changed my life. Even though it was maybe no more than ten seconds, it was one of the most (if not the) happiest moments of my life. I honestly don't think my voice has ever been that high pitched before, and as we left the venue my roommate and I were beaming with happiness. The whole thing felt like a blur. I will never forget this moment for as long as I live. 

“I think it’s the books that you read when you’re young that live with you forever.”

The program from the event

My copy of the book and my ticket
Now my most prized possession

No comments:

Post a Comment