Tuesday, April 23, 2013

'Sugar Ball' by RuPaul's Drag Race

The race for the crown could not be any tighter at this point in the competition as the final four queens battle it out to become America's Next Drag Superstar. I think that this is possibly the best Top 4 in Drag Race herstory. In my opinion, all four of the girls could win and I'd be happy. Season 3 is the only other season where I feel like the Top 4 were just as strong. Season 4 is different because I love Chad, but I really did not want to see her win, and plus she won All Stars so I guess it all balances out. This week the girls take on puppets and candy!
For this week's mini-challenge, Ru brings back the puppet reading challenge that made its debut on Season 4. Each girl picks a puppet which represents one of her fellow contestants. They then have to drag it up and put on a show. Detox got Alaska and she was really funny. She nailed Alaska's whiny voice. Jinkx got Detox, and while it wasn't the best it was still pretty darn funny. Roxxxy got Jinkx, and she totally destroyed Jinkx but not in a nice way. I like Roxxxy, but she was so bitchy, and most of what she said was completely uncalled for. Finally, Alaska took on Roxxxy and put on one of the funniest puppet shows I've ever seen. Alaska had me rolling in fits of laughter. She got Roxxxy's attitude 100% correct, and the wig-underneath-a-wig and the three tearaways were so perfect. Rightfully, Alaska won the challenge.
For the main challenge, Ru tasks the girls to create three outfits for the runway presentation: Sweet 16 Party Girl, Executive Realness, and Candy Couture. Roxxxy is ecstatic because the queens finally have a sewing challenge where she can finally shine. None of the other girls can sew so this should be interesting. It's clear that Detox and Jinkx are having a hard time creating their candy-inspired look. Tensions run high, and once again the whole episode becomes about Roxxxy bullying Jinkx. I love Roxxxy as a pageant queen, but she was completely nasty and rude to the point where I wanted to turn the TV off. It's obvious that Roxxxy is still insecure about herself, but I really hope she learns from this experience and blossoms into an even stronger queen.

Sweet 16 Party Girl

Alaska
Alaska killed it with this look. It's sweet and simple, and it's a more demure side of Alaska that we haven't seen too much of in this competition. It's always nice to see a schtick character go for the fishy look and see how they fare.

Jinkx Monsoon
We all know that Jinkx Monsoon is a MILF, so when she went for her party girl look she chose to dress as a 16 year old back in the sixties. I like it for her character, but compared to the other queens it's very weak. She pulls of the flower child vibe, but it left me wanting more.

Roxxxy Andrews
I thought Roxxxy looked great in this look, although I do see where the judges were coming from when they said she looked like a slutty 20-something. But, she was the only one to incorporate candy into this outfit so she should be commended for that.

Detox
Detox is an '80s girl, and that's one of the things I love about her. I really liked her party girl look this week and didn't think it was as bad as all the judges made it out to be. Out of the two time-warp outfits on the runway, I think Detox pulled it off better than Jinkx.

Executive Realness

Alaska
Alaska's executive realness look is by far my favorite I've ever seen on this show. Alaska thought outside of the box, and she dressed as a construction work manager complete with her hardhat and blueprint plans in her hand. She looked hot as hell, and committed to the character. Flawless!

Jinkx Monsoon
Jinkx went for another retro look, very Mad Men-esque, and I loved it. I thought it was fun and campy, and really spoke volumes about her as an entertainer. It was one of the weaker executive realness looks, but I still really enjoyed it.

Roxxxy Andrews
Another tear-away cape? Yes, I'm as sick of it as you are, but Roxxxy pulls it off like no other. And what's underneath is what counts! I highly doubt any female executive would wear something like that as it was very slutty, but Roxxxy looked sickening. Once again she was the only one to incorporate candy into her outfit.

Detox
I've been waiting to see Detox wear this outfit all season. Any Detox fan will recognize this outfit as her signature look, one she performs all the time with her unforgettable lip sync style. She rocked that runway with this look, and it was my favorite behind Alaska's.

Candy Couture

Alaska
Alaska slayed the candy couture look, coming out on top. Her outfit screamed candy, and she werked it down the runway. It reminded me a lot of Raja's hair outfit from Season 3 which is definitely not a bad thing as that was Raja's best look. Alaska, for me, had the three best outfits of the night.

Jinkx Monsoon
I'm glad Jinkx scrapped the hoop skirt because she made her outfit a lot less unfortunate than it would have been. I liked the overall appearance of the look, but it really didn't have a lot of candy thus making her basically fail the challenge. This is just not Jinkx's week.

Roxxxy Andrews
I live for this look. This candy outfit is one of the best dresses I've ever seen on the show, and it just goes to show that Roxxxy is extremely talented. She killed the runway this week, but I have to give the edge to Alaska.

Detox
I love me some Detox, but her candy couture look was a travesty. I don't have a problem with queens buying their clothes off the rack, but you also have to be creative enough to make your own looks. There was nothing "candy" about this, and it just really looked bad. Detox missed the mark this week.
To no one's surprise, Alaska was victorious and became the third one to win two challenges. Detox and Jinkx fell into the Bottom Two and had to lip sync for their lives. This was Detox's third time in the bottom, and the song choice was geared more towards Jinkx so it was clear Detox was going to go home. I have to say though, with the strangest song choice in the history of the show, Detox held her own and gave Jinkx a run for her money. But alas, Detox was told to sashay away. I was very upset this week, but with Detox's underwhelming performances throughout the season I wasn't surprised. Untucked was largely forgettable again this week, but the girls got to play with puppets of the three judges which made for some good fun. Next week, the Final Three film the music video for RuPaul's fabulous song 'The Beginning,' and lip sync for the final time as they fight to become America's Next Drag Superstar.

No comments:

Post a Comment