Tuesday, April 23, 2013

'Jerk Ribs' by Kelis

'Milkshake' songstress Kelis is making a big return to music this year, taking everyone by storm. I love Kelis so much, and she has been one of my favorite artists for years. Back in the day she was an R&B artist, and then migrated to dance/house music with Fleshtone and her collaborations with Skream and Clavin Harris, and now she's making another radical departure. Kelis is going the indie route this year, signing to the Federal Prism label, and she'll be releasing not one but TWO albums this year! The first single off her first album of 2013 just arrived, and it's much different than anything you've ever heard from her. 'Jerk Ribs' has huge percussion and brass instrumentation that simmers over a mid-tempo beat, letting the groove and Kelis' smoky vocals do all the work. It's very retro and I'm loving every second of it. I can't wait to hear what else Kelis has in store for us, and since she's releasing two albums then maybe the second will be dance which she pulls off so well. One can hope!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this track! Kelis is always keeping things YOUNG, FRESH, AND NEW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how she puts her material together. I find that its liberating for her and I can feel that sense of freedom in her creative work. Great job and I can't wait for the album line up.

    ReplyDelete