Monday, May 6, 2013

'Countdown to the Crown' by RuPaul's Drag Race

Since this week on RuPaul's Drag Race Ru hosted the yearly countdown special before the winner is announced next week at the reunion, I thought I'd do a post on the Final Three and let you know where I think they stand. Season V has been one of the weaker seasons in my opinion, which is upsetting. But, there have been some fierce contestants, and I have loved all the new challenges and twists that RuPaul added this year. And some of the best lip syncs in the history of the show happened this season. With the good always comes some bad. However, the show keeps increasing in popularity, and I am so excited to see the legacy of this incredible show keep expanding. Now on to the girls.

Jinkx Monsoon
When this season first began, Jinkx was on my radar but I wasn't sure how far she would make it. Either she would be too much schtick and get eliminated early, or she would be like Pandora Boxx on steroids. Thankfully she turned out to be the latter. Jinkx was a standout from the beginning, and each week she progressively got better. She blew me away, and she really impressed the judges because she is the only contestant in Drag Race herstory to be in the Top 3 every single week. The first time she fell out of the Top 3 was Top 4 week when she lip synced for the first time against Detox. She serves glamour, she gives camp, and dang the gurl can sang. The show has never had a winner like her, so I think it would be great to see a camp queen don the crown and be a new face of the show.


Alaska
I'll admit it, at the beginning of the season I had discounted Alaska. I saw her as a cheaper version of Sharon, and I didn't think she had what it takes to win. Oh how wrong I was! Alaska quickly grew to be one of my top favorites on the show this year. Her humor, ever-evolving aesthetic and genuine nice disposition proved she has what it takes to represent the face of RuPaul's legacy. She was the only queen this season to never fall in the Bottom Two and thus never had to lip sync for her life. That's quite an accomplishment. It was mid-season that she really picked up the pace and came roaring with a gusto that has been unseen in this competition before. To be honest, if Alaska wins I would have no problem with it. And to see Drag Race's first Royal Couple would be amazing.


Roxxxy Andrews
Oh Roxxxy, where do I begin? At the beginning of the season I was behind her 100%, wanting it to be her and Detox fighting for the crown. Then she fell off the radar, giving either bad or lackluster performances. It was her lip sync against Alyssa that changed everything. She picked herself back up, began meeting challenges head on and got me interested in her again. And then her attitude got in the way. Roxxxy (along with Coco) is this season's reigning bitch, but who cares when she gives face and serves body-ody-ody? She's a pageant girl, but I can't see her winning because lacks traits. She's not as well rounded as her fellow competitors. I love her, but she is not winning material.

No comments:

Post a Comment