Monday, July 15, 2013

'Miss Jackson' Music Video by Panic! At the Disco featuring Lolo

In a move that shocked even me, Panic! At the Disco released the first single off their upcoming album Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die! which is set to be released on October 8th. 'Miss Jackson' is the new single, and I must say, as a fan of Panic! since the beginning, this is a huge letdown. There are so many problems with this song that make it very mediocre. I think the biggest flaw is that it sounds awfully similar to Fall Out Boy's 'My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light 'Em Up)'. Brendon Urie's voice has the same muffled effect and it's got the same "rock stadium" kind of sound. Brendon's voice is too good to use effects like that, and there is no reason that they should sound like Fall Out Boy. I can understand why they might want to replicate the success that 'Light Em Up' is having right now, but they don't need to. And plus, I don't think the song is even that catchy or original. It's just very blah, which is something I should never say about Panic!. They are a phenomenal band, and I can only hope that their new album will be much better than this song. As for the video itself, it's a huge step-up from the song. I really have no idea what happened during it, but there's this girl who has this "smoke" inside her, and then Brendon comes and meets her and slices her head right off her shoulders. It's very artistic and intriguing which Panic! has always prided themselves in. The video is the song's saving grace.
P.S. This is off-topic, but if you haven't already, you really should check out Brendon Urie's Vines. In my opinion, he is the best Vine-er out there. You will laugh yourself silly, I promise.

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking forward to their comeback after Fall Out boy successfully did it earlier this year. But it's just a little surprising that everything feels like FOB comeback 2.0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Panic! At the Disco have their own signature sound, and I just wish they weren't copying FOB just to get some commercial success again.

      Delete