Monday, April 7, 2014

'Solar' by Cosmo Sheldrake

About a month ago, I shared an awesome new track with you guys by up-and-coming artist Cosmo Sheldrake. 'The Moss' is still on constant rotation in my iTunes. Sheldrake is bringing something completely new to the scene with his folksy synth pop sound.

The B-Side to his debut single is something that Björk would have included on her Biophilia album. 'Solar' is a "hymn to the sun" that uses recordings of the sun captured through a process called stellar seismology. Over that, Sheldrake recites the words from William Blake's poem "I Rose Up at the Dawn of the Day." It's quite a clever idea and he really pulls it off. Accompanied by flutes and pygmies, Sheldrake creates an alternative sound that leaves me breathless.

I'm really drawn to Sheldrake as an artist because he's clearly quite intelligent and I love the highly literary nature of his work. It makes the English Literature nerd in me very happy. His debut single 'The Moss' is officially released this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment