Wednesday, August 24, 2011

America's Got Talent - Semifinals, Pt. 1

We've finally made it to the semifinals!!  This has been a long time coming, and after many monotonous hours of craptacular television we finally made it.  This week's episode reminded me just how much I hate this show.  I don't think I have ever seen an episode of this show where I disagreed so much with the judges.  I don't understand what any of them were thinking this week because the acts that could make an incredible Vegas show they hated, and those that wouldn't last a minute they were head-over-heels for.  We'll get to all that in a minute, but do any of you feel this way, or is it just myself and my dad that do?  Please let me know.

Matt Wilhelm
Matt Wilhelm, the black-light BMX dude, gave another great performance this time around complete with a storyline.  While the performance was not incredibly different from the first time around, it was still entertaining nonetheless.  Unlike what Piers said, I think that if he added a couple more guys on bikes and they were all going at once, I believe Matt could have a great and entertaining show.

Poplyfe
This week the band decided to take on The Beatles.  When you first hear that you immediately go "Uh-oh", but Poplyfe actually did a decent job.  I think that they would excel much more if they were to be performing original material as opposed to covers.  They will definitely advance to the finals, but I don't know if they could actually win.

West Springfield Dance Team
This week's performance was their best to date.  Everything they do is so intriguing and innovative.  I loved the whole Zombie apocalypse theme this week, and their visual affects are always entertaining.  I think they have a lot of promise, and definitely deserve to be in the finals.  

Melissa Villasenor
Melissa is hands-down my favorite act in the competition after that performance last night.  I was laughing non-stop throughout her entire set.  Every impression she does is spot on, and my favorite this week was the Wanda Sykes impression.  Melissa's goofy composure is also entertaining as well, and I really hope she makes it into the finals because she deserves it 100%.

Team iLuminate
These guys are going to win the competition hands-down.  Every time they step on stage they deliver something different and it elevates them to the next level.  This week they did something fun and created a video game that took us through different levels of the game, and ended with 'Party Rock Anthem'.  I hope they continue getting better because I want to see what they can do next.

Lys Agnès
Okay.  Lys just blew me away.  I had always thought that she was just a mediocre singer, and her last performance to me was very underwhelming.  This week she took Evanescence's 'Bring Me to Life' and turned it into this amazing theatrical operatic piece of music.  Simply stunning.

The first thing I want to address is Beth Ann Robinson.  She's a 14 year old dancer who is just okay.  She needs to wait a few more years and then audition for So You Think You Can Dance.  Her performance this week was decent at best with a few mishaps, but the judges were freaking out over how "amazing" it was.  This is where my qualm comes in.  The judges are always saying that they need to see acts that can support a Vegas show, which is what the show is based on to begin with.  And then they're flabbergasted with this performance that could never in a million years support its own show.  They are so contradictory that it really makes me sick.  My other rant is about Daniel Joseph Baker.  Again, the judges are in awe with him, while he is mediocre at best.  Not once has he performed his rendition of a song.  To date, both the GaGa songs and the Adele song have been carbon copies of their originator.  He does nothing to change it, and then when the judges say they loved his interpretation of it and he takes credit for it it literally makes me want to destroy the TV.  Furthermore, this week he completely murdered Adele's 'Turning Tables'.  If he were to have auditioned on American Idol he would never have made it into the Top 24, but on this show they think his less-than-impressive voice is absolutely stunning.  The judges just really infuriate me sometimes, but still for some reason I still tune into this show.  Do any of you have the same thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I love the team iLuminate. They are the greatest. I would watch their show a million times in Vegas

    ReplyDelete