Monday, August 26, 2013

Miley Cyrus's VMA Performance Was Genius

 
I've wanted to write this post for a long time now, but I just hadn't found the right opportunity. After last night's MTV Video Music Awards, the time is right. Easily the most controversial and talked about performance of the night was Miley Cyrus as she performed her hit single 'We Can't Stop' before joining Robin Thicke on 'Blurred Lines'. The performance was full of side-tongue and twerking, a Disney girl gone rogue. Many people say Miley embarrassed herself and that she needs to take time to reevaluate her life. Some people even wanted to puke afterwards. But what did I think? I thought it was genius.
Let's examine this, shall we? Miley Cyrus rose to fame as Hannah Montana, and she was every girl's idol. She was cute and bubbly, and had a good voice. She finally went solo and released two very strong albums. Her song 'Party In the U.S.A.' is still played all the time, especially during the Fourth of July. With 'Can't Be Tamed' she got a little more mature and sexy, but nothing crazy. Miley is now almost 21 years old and is in that time of her life when she's experimenting and just enjoying life. When 'We Can't Stop' came out people were shocked. I didn't find it all that outlandish though. Kids her age are doing much worse than that, and she doesn't have to be a role model to anyone. That's not her job. 'We Can't Stop' is the song of the summer for me, and I can't get enough of Miley right now. Which leads me to my next point.
Cyrus's new album Bangerz comes out on October 8th, and people think they know what to expect, but I think they're delusional. So far Miley has given us crazy antics, raunchy behavior and lots and lots of twerking. People think this is going to be some kind of hip-hop/rap album that will just make Miley look like an idiot. But then she released 'Wrecking Ball' the other day and confused everyone. It's a beautiful, lyrically driven ballad that makes you feel. People who hate Miley actually love this song. So then people were confused. What is this album going to sound like? People are talking. And then came last night's performance where she "made a fool of herself," but what's going on? Everyone is talking about Miley. This twenty year old girl has the world in the palm of her hands, and she's making every single one of us talk about her. All that was on my Twitter feed this morning, ten hours after the show was over, was Miley! From a marketing standpoint this is genius. Everyone is wondering what she is going to do next, and they want to hear Bangerz because they're confused and are expecting a catastrophic failure. With Britney Spears being featured on one of the songs anticipation is even higher. On October 8th the whole world will be rushing to listen to Bangerz, and Miley will have done her job. I live for the hot mess because it's all a marketing ploy. I can guarantee you we're going to see ten different sides of Miley on this record, and then people will be eating their words. I stan for Miley, and I always will.

6 comments:

  1. Before I saw you were a guy I was going to ask you to marry me! Miley4Ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, well I'll take that as a compliment :)

      Delete
  2. I've had the exact same opinion and was wondering if anyone else in the world was seeing this the way I did! She's a genius...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have the same view! Out of all my friends, only one agrees with me. This performance seems to have been more polarizing than I thought.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a Miley fan but I agree. Hence I was brought to this site.

    Those rants and mental breakdowns by certain celebrities, I think they are quite genius even if it was unintentional. Charlie Sheen is a good example. Some fail however to take advantage of it. (whatever this way of getting attention is right or wrong I'm not going to bother with, I just think it's genius because it works)

    Miley did it better. She just did a performance and it has similar effect.

    Also, she makes fools of some people who call her butt small or call her a whore. I think those are pathetic people for attacking her instead of her behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. I hate when I hear people call her a whore and stuff because it's mean and completely false. She's engaged and is in a committed relationship. People are just acting ridiculous about this whole thing. I'm glad to see you share the same view as I do!

      Delete