Thursday, May 24, 2012

American Idol 2012: The Finale

We have arrived at the finale!! Even though I didn't think this was one of the best years of American Idol, the season went by really fast and I can't believe we're at the end already. While I don't think Jessica should have made it this far, I predicted Phillip would win when the Top 13 were announced, and I truly think he deserves the win. He's come really far and as he is the only artist left in the competition, he will be a good representation of the show. If you follow the link above, you'll see the predictions I made. In terms of winning, I accurately predicted Phillip, and in terms of what I wanted to happen I accurately guessed Hollie's elimination. Just like with every year, the Final Two sang Simon Fuller's Choice, a Previously Sang Song, and their individual Winner's Single.

Jessica Sanchez
Another Whitney song?! This is the third time Jessica's done a Whitney song on the show, and by now it's tired. Just let it go already. Once again, this was an emotionless stand-on-the-stage-and-belt kind of performance that has become common for Jessica. 

Phillip Phillips
'Stand By Me' is NOT what I would have chosen for Phillip to sing. He rearranged the melody as usual, and I think it worked. But in a weird and awkward kind of way. I wasn't raving over it, but it was still very solid.

Jessica Sanchez
Another blah performance. Are ballads the only thing Jessica's going to sing in the future? The finale is supposed to be a representation of who you are, but all we're seeing is a balladeer. I preferred this over her first performance, but it was the same old same old.

Phillip Phillips
YES, Phillip! That was a really great performance that showed off who he is. It's got that grit and angst in it that pulses through your body, and it showed the more upbeat side of him. Phillip blew Jessica out of the water in this second round.

Jessica Sanchez
Another frickin' ballad?! At least last year when Scotty and Lauren picked their Winner's Singles they weren't too sappy, but Jessica picked the biggest pile of mush she could find. If you're going to pick a song that represents who you are then why pick this? She could have redeemed herself and potentially won if she had picked a better song.

Phillip Phillips
Phillip just won the show with that performance right there, ladies and gentlemen!!! THAT'S how you pick a Winner's Single (I'm looking at you Jessica). That song could not have been more suited to Phillip, and I think it is the best Winner's Single ever on this show. It had a great Mumford & Sons vibe that is really popular today. Phillip sealed the deal with that one.

It was blatantly obvious that Phillip won the night overall. The last performance and the well-deserved standing O from the judges closed this chapter in Idol history. I really liked Jessica and was rooting for her in the beginning, but she crashed and burned the past few weeks by not bringing any personality to the stage. This year is now over and I still have no idea who Jessica Sanchez really is. It was a very good night overall.

Last night on the finale legend after legend took the stage to perform. I think this was the best finale in Idol history. This was the first time that it didn't drag on for hours, and I was legitimately entranced through the whole show. The only flaws were Fantasia Burrino's outfit and the return of Chaka Khan and Neil Diamond. Don't get me wrong, that are still great even at their ages, but it's come to the point where I'm tired of seeing them perform on the Idol finale EVERY year. Get some other musicians to come on. And who let Fantasia step onto that stage wearing that one piece. That was probably one of the worst outfits I have ever seen, and with the many pounds Fantasia has gained, it did not look pretty. She needs to fire her stylist immediately. The highlight of the night for me was Jessica performing with Jennifer Holliday, the original Dreamgirl. First, this was the first time that I saw some personality from Jessica. I was actually impressed because she had some attitude that made her more interesting to watch. But more importantly, Jennifer Holliday was a hoot to watch, and she blew the roof of with her incredible vocals. That was hands down THE BEST performance I have EVER seen on the Idol stage (or any other reality competition show for that matter). The performance slayed. WOW! Overall, it was a fantastic night. So we have come to the end of another year of American Idol. I've really enjoyed blogging about the show for the past four months, and I hope you enjoyed it too! Can't wait to do it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment