Tuesday, May 22, 2012

American Idol 2012: Top 3

This week on American Idol, the Top 3 took on three songs each: Judges' Choice, Personal Choice and Jimmy's Choice. It was also the always fun hometown visits. Phillip easily won the night with some incredible performances. After a few so-so weeks, he pulled out all the stops and set the standard for the others to compete against. Joshua was just okay, his final performance being the best. Jessica was absolutely awful. It almost seemed as if the producers manipulated everything to throw her under the bus. Other than Jessica's atrocities and the judges' over-the-top hyperbolic statements, the show was actually very pleasant.

Jessica Sanchez
The judges chose some Mariah for Jessica to sing. This was by far the strongest of her three performances, but the performance just kind of left me hanging. There wasn't anything spectacular about it, but it wasn't terrible either. There was simply no "wow" factor.

Phillip Phillips
This was personally my favorite performance of the night. This is 100% the type of music that I could see Phillip releasing in the future, and he could achieve some really great success with it. His personality really shown through, and I was groovin' in my seat. 

Jessica Sanchez
For her own choice, Jessica chose Aerosmith's legendary 'I Don't Want To Miss a Thing'. It could not have been worse. First, she's not a rocker so it was totally out of character for her which put her at a disadvantage. But what I hated the most was that the song became this odd R&B slow jam that rubbed me the wrong way. The entire thing felt so awkward that it left me uncomfortable.

Phillip Phillips
This Matchbox 20 song was a great choice. For Phillip it showed off his laid-back and jazzy side which is always fun to see. It really feels like a Phillip concert tonight and I'm really loving it. I disagree with the judges completely because I think he doesn't have to have a "moment" with every song - he's showing who he is as an all-around artist, unlike the other two who rely solely on their big voices.

Jessica Sanchez
Jimmy seriously chose the Jackson 5's 'I'll Be There'? Really?! This was a completely idiotic choice, and did Jessica absolutely no favors. With her distinct voice the song became very karaoke and was laughable at times. By far the worst performance of the night.

Phillip Phillips
He's actually singing something with melody!! While I don't think it was as big of a standout moment as the judges seemed to think, I think it was pretty good. You could tell Phillip was a little uncomfortable with the song, but it was really great to hear him sing like that. He really does have a great voice, and I think this showed off yet another facet of his voice that we've never seen before.

Ranking the night over all it would be Phillip, Joshua and finally Jessica. This was by far Jessica's weakest night of the competition which is made even worse by the fact that she had three opportunities to display her talent. Joshua had a good performance with his last song, but his rendition of 'Imagine' made me want to plug my ears. He completely disgraced one of the best songs ever written. That song is simple and demands a finesse that is hard to achieve. What Joshua did was take a steamroller and repeatedly flattened the song until it crumbled to a pulp. He completely over-sang the song and destroyed the intimacy of it. I HATED it, and I truly mean that. Based on the show Jessica should have gone home, but when she made it through I was flabbergasted. In the finale I believe Phillip will win. While I don't want him to because he is another WGWG (a popular Idol acronym that means White Guy With a Guitar), he is leaps and bounds better than the personality-less Jessica. We'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment