Sunday, May 20, 2012

American Idol 2012: Top 4

This week on American Idol the contestants did a much better job than they have in quite a few weeks. They took on songs by Californian artists as well as Songs I Wish I Wrote. I have to give it to Joshua because he did a decent job tonight, but Phillip finally got back in the game, and Hollie once again had a really good week. 

Phillip Phillips
This is the Phillip I love. He's got his own unique style, and he has his own little groove that makes you smile. He's the only original artist in the Top 4, and for this reason I want him to win even though he's the typical WGWG Idol winner.

Hollie Cavanagh
This was an interesting night for Hollie because I disagreed with the judges on both of her songs. This Journey song wasn't the best performance she's ever done, but it wasn't bad either. Hollie was lacking a bit of emotion and could have gone further with it. Interestingly, the judges were fawning over her and said it was amazing.

Jessica Sanchez
Another typical Jessica performance: incredible vocals but no personality. She even did a growling thing that annoyed the heck out of me. She's going nowhere in the music business and you can quote me on that because she's just a voice. It's the Top 4 and I have NO idea who she is. Who is Jessica?

Phillip and Joshua
After last week's duet debacle I had very low expectations for this performance, but the boys proved me wrong. Taking on Maroon 5's 'This Love' was a perfect choice, and their vocals flowed seamlessly together. They even had great chemistry.

Hollie and Jessica
This was very interesting. Hollie and Jessica's duet was actually pretty bad towards the end. I liked the swings as we don't get much production value on this show, but once they got off them the whole thing went downhill. Interestingly, it was Jessica who mucked the whole thing up.

The Top 4
When you have to do a whole group performance on a performance night, you know the show is too long. Blah blah blah. This could not have been more boring or worse of a vocal blending. Why waste our time with this?

Phillip Phillips
I LOVE this side of Phillip. The moody, dark and gravelly side of him is captivating, and it makes me want to buy his album. I loved the whole performance, and for me it was one of his best. This was a huge advancement over last week's atrocities.

Hollie Cavanagh
I loved this soooo much more than her first performance. I thought it was oozing emotion, and she really had a moment with it. A very solid performance. However, the judges hated it and thought it didn't go anywhere. What's up with them? I really think they try to sabotage Hollie instead of helping her.

Jessica Sanchez
You can't fault anyone who sings 'And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going' from the musical Dreamgirls. It's one of the most amazing songs ever written, but the problem I had with Jessica was that it was almost a carbon copy of Jennifer Hudson's bone-chilling version. She didn't put her own spin on it which is one of her biggest downfalls on this show.

Phillip was by far the best of the night, and I was so happy to see him bounce back from two weeks of rather lackluster performances. Jessica and Hollie both had a so-so night. I admit that Joshua's rendition of 'It's a Man's Man's Man's World' was quite good, but he still didn't wow me. Based on the performances, I would say that either Jessica or Hollie should go home. Of course Hollie got sent home after many weeks spent in the Bottom Two. It's a shame to see her go because she really grew these past few weeks and deserved it more than Jessica. Overall, though, it was a really good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment