Tuesday, May 15, 2012

'Dance With Somebody' by Glee

After paying tribute to the film Saturday Night Fever in the previous episode, Glee decided to do another tribute, this time for the legendary Whitney Houston. After her passing, Mercedes did a stellar job on 'I Will Always Love You', but they decided to give her a larger tribute. I definitely did not think this was the best tribute episode they have done, and in terms of the actual show it was pretty boring. Compared to 'Saturday Night Glee-ver' this was a big disappointment.

The girls of the Glee Club started the episode with this wonderful gem of a song. Their voices melded beautifully, and it could not have been more perfect to start the tribute to Whitney. At least Mercedes actually got to sing for once...

This had to be my second favorite song of the night. Santana and Brittany did a full-on dance number in great retro 80's clothes. Brittany's vocals really shined on this one, and I thought the chemistry between the two was perfect. I also loved that they updated the song, and made it more current. It really worked well.

'Saving All My Love for You' was one of the low points of the episode. I absolutely cannot stand Quinn anymore. She annoys me so much, and, frankly, her vocals are not up to par. Joe is a great addition to the cast and I like his voice, but I wish he wasn't pursuing Quinn. She's so not worth it. The song was just very bland.

As Rachel and Santana have some of the best voices on the show, it is no surprise that this duet is amazing! When they sing together it is simply magical. The scene with them saying they wish they had been friends more often than enemies was really sweet, and one of the better moments of the episode.

Hands down the best performance of the episode, and one of the best of the season. Blaine absolutely smashed the song! I loved that they modernized it as well as treated it almost like a music video. It really could not have been more perfect. Blaine pulled this off flawlessly, and he really showed he's a force to be reckoned with.

Kurt always has a beautiful voice, and this performance was stunning. I even got goosebumps multiple times. I'm kind of glad Klaine finally had a fight because we really don't get to see much of them. I believe Kurt was totally in the wrong, and what he was doing was cheating. Regardless, I don't think the whole fight should have simply been resolved with a song, but what are you gonna do? This is Glee.

This is one of those rare New Directions-gathering-in-the-auditorium-end-of-episode performances. And it could not have been cheesier. It's one of my least favorite Whitney songs, and I think they could have done a better ending. This last performance left me unsatisfied.

There was just so much wrong in the episode that I'm not going to go into it, but I'll highlight a few things. First, the little fling Kurt had with Chandler was interesting, to say the least. I liked that the writers of the show finally focused on Klaine for once, and actually probed at their relationship. We actually got to see Kurt and Blaine have relationship problems. While it was resolved quickly, I just hope there is more interaction between them to come. Now on to Will and Emma's wedding drama. Every episode I am starting to dislike Mr. Schue more and more. In this episode he was a complete jerk to Emma. While I understand he wanted to have the wedding before the Glee kids left, he was acting irrationally and was down-right rude. They really need to rework Will's character because I am turning against him very quickly. This was overall a disappointing episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment