Friday, September 7, 2012

Enrique Will Be Bringing the Latin Flare in January

It was (reportedly) confirmed by Deadline this morning that the American Idol judging panel has been finalized. And who will be joining Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban? Well, Latin pop superstar Enrique Iglesias! It's nice that the producers are going for a diverse panel, but I'm not too sure about Enrique as a judge. First, he's said all along that he would never be a judge on a talent show, even turning down Simon Cowell when he was shopping around for judges for The X Factor earlier in the year. His sudden switch worries me a bit. And then, I just don't see him as a judge. I don't think he has the judging spirit inside of him. He seems like he would be very lackluster, and he's probably only being put there so that he and Nicki can have some fun, flirty banter to keep the audience entertained. Also, like I've mentioned before, I would have loved to have a record/industry executive on the panel because I think that's essential. It gives a much needed different perspective. It's obvious that Enrique's only here for the starpower and to up the ratings; I feel it's a copout on the producer's part. Only time will tell, however, if Enrique will be up to the challenge. And while we're on the subject of judges, I hope Mariah becomes the head judge. I think she's got that innate quality to tell the harsh truth, and I think she will be able to hold the panel together while the other three are there to have fun and bring in their fanbases. Let's hope this year doesn't become all about the judges. The contestants need to be the focus of the show. Let's see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment