Sunday, September 30, 2012

'The Truth About Love' by P!nk Album Review

P!nk is one of my all-time favorite artists. She is the consummate entertainer: she writes her music, she sings live extremely well, she puts on huge and elaborate shows, and she's just an awesome person. When it comes to her albums, I have always had a hard time getting into them. It usually takes me anywhere from 3 to 6 listens before I really enjoy the album and feel like I can comment on it. I don't know why that is, but upon the first few listens I usually hate the album and feel like it is a huge letdown. With Funhouse I had to listen to the album six times before I ever thought it was good, and now I think it's her best album by far. This one is the same and it took me a while to get into it, but overall it's very good. I do feel, though, that P!nk is sort of stuck in a rut. I don't feel like her sound has really evolved over the past decade as this album sounds almost like Funhouse Part Two. I like the new sounds she develops on this album with Nate Ruess and Lily Cooper Rose, but she needs to experiment more because I'm kind of getting tired of the same old same old. Nevertheless, The Truth About Love is another solid effort from one of the best artists of our time.

1. Are We All We Are - 8/10

The album begins with a big song featuring a choir. It's an interesting way to begin the album as it's so different than all the other songs, but it gives the album an intriguing start. The song reminds me a lot of the first track off Nelly Furtado's Loose album, 'Afraid'. It has the same feel to it. Not the greatest song, but cool in it's own special way.

2. Blow Me (One Last Kiss) - 9/10

I think we all know by now how good of a song this is. It's the classic angst-y/break-up/jaded P!nk that we have all come to know and love over the years. It's by far one of my favorite tracks on the album. You could read my original thoughts HERE.

3. Try - 10/10

P!nk is a genius at the break-up songs, but she's also a master at the beautiful and emotion-filled mid-tempos like 'Sober' and 'Perfect'. This is one that hits that emotional cord inside everyone and she really makes you feel every lyric. There's nothing like a good P!nk song to get you through the worst of days. This is by far the most powerful and best track on the album. You can read my original thoughts HERE.

4. Just Give Me a Reason - 9/10

This is an interesting track on the album because it's a different sound for P!nk. On this one she teamed up with Nate Ruess, lead singer of fun.. It's obvious he wrote the song because it sounds like a song fun. could have released, but I love P!nk's voice on it, and the duet between the two is really beautiful. It's cool to see P!nk venture out and try something different.

5. True Love - 9/10

'True Love' sees another feature, this time from Lily Rose Cooper (more popularly known as the cheeky British songstress Lily Allen). Another highlight on the album, the song is an upbeat quirky track that I can definitely see being released as a single in the future. P!nk sings "I hate you so much it must be true love." It's clear Lily's cheeky attitude rubbed off and this is like a match made in heaven.

6. How Come You're Not Here - 8/10

This is another good, solid song. To me, it sounds like it could have fit perfectly on her album Funhouse. It takes a rockier approach than the other songs so far, but it gets old pretty fast. It's very repetitive and doesn't wow me. My favorite line, though, is "Did you take a long walk off a short pier? How come you're not here?"

7. Slut Like You - 9/10

This is one of my favorite songs off the album, although many critics listed it as the worst song on the album. It's vulgar, petty and amateurish but I think those are all the things that P!nk likes to have fun with and throw in people's faces. And how can you not love the chorus?! It's probably the catchiest thing on the album. P!nk is actually releasing this as her next single and I know it's going to be a huge hit. Come on, you have to have a not-to-be-taken-seriously song on every album.

8. The Truth About Love - 6/10

The title track has a much different feel than all the other songs on the album. The song implements a muddied effect to her vocals, and most of it is spoken rather than sung. What's good about the song is that the lyrics give a great synopsis of the album, but there are more flaws than good points. The song goes on for too long and is just boring. Definitely the weakest song on the album.

9. Beam Me Up - 10/10

On every P!nk album you have that beautiful acoustic ballad that shows off her vocals and is usually one of the highlights of the album. Remember 'Dear Mr. President'? It's enchanting to just sit and listen to her voice accompanied by a few instruments. Her voice is superb and you get transported into a different world listening to her sing like this. Superb!

10. Walk of Shame - 8/10

After 'Beam Me Up' we do a complete 180 degree turn with 'Walk of Shame'. This is another upbeat fun song that you can't help but to dance to. I love how she sings "walk this way." So fun! As always, the lyrics of this song are the highlight as they're hilarious and so outrageously honest. One of the better songs on the album.

11. Here Comes the Weekend - 9/10

P!nk and Eminem is a match made in heaven. To begin with, the song is by far one of the best songs with it's catchy chorus and dark rock flare. Then you bring in the real Slim Shady who delivers a great rap that oddly works with P!nk's rock sound, and you've got one awesome bad@$$ song.

12. Where Did the Beat Go? - 9/10

'Where Did the Beat Go?' sounds very different then the other tracks on the album, but it's individuality makes it stand out. This is P!nk backed by an orchestra and it has a grand Evanescence-esque feel to it which I really love. I personally think this is one of P!nk's best sounds, and I wish she would do more songs like this because it's really good.

13. The Great Escape - 9/10

Just like she does with all her other albums, P!nk ends The Truth About Love with a simple ballad where we can hear her vocals soar over the song, and bring out the emotional side of us. It's an uplifting song that makes you feel something, and it reminds you why P!nk is such a great artist.

Songs to Check Out: 'Just Give Me a Reason', 'True Love', Slut Like You', 'Beam Me Up' and 'Here Comes the Weekend'

Overall Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment