Monday, February 4, 2013

Beyoncé Shuts Down the Super Bowl...Literally

Last night was the Super Bowl, or as most of us knew it as, the Beyoncé concert. In the game that was supposed to be all about the Ravens and the 49ers, one woman stole the show. To say that this half-time show was hyped up is an understatement: this was easily one of the biggest events in recent memory, and it was so big that Beyoncé even caused a blackout! From the moment Beyoncé ascended on the stage clouded in smoke I knew this was going to be epic. Bey stomped like nobody's business down to the front of the stage, and proceeded to blow us away with her incredible (and very much live) vocals. She performed some of her biggest hits such as 'Crazy In Love', 'Love On Top' and 'Baby Boy' amidst a giant screen and the video screens on the floor of the stage, reminiscent of her Billboard Music Awards performance of 'Run the World (Girls)'. And then came what I thought was the biggest moment of the night: the reunion of Destiny's Child.
Hands down Destiny's Child is the greatest girl group in history, and when I heard the opening notes of my all-time fav 'Bootylicious' I almost flipped out. And then Kelly and Michelle just had to soar into the air and land in fierce poses which almost gave me a heart attack. We all knew that when they released 'Nuclear' a few weeks back that Beyoncé could not possibly pass up the opportunity to reunite the trio. It was more than I could have ever asked for, although I wish they had performed 'Survivor' and we could have actually heard Kelly and Michelle's vocals. Poor Michelle though. Her doing the 'Single Ladies' choreography was hard to watch, but it was nostalgic none-the-less. Then Beyoncé proceeded to close the show with her huge hit 'Halo' that ended the half-time show on the perfect note. My only critique on Bey's part is that I would have loved her to sing more and dance less, however she looked flawless and her dancing and body were on point. Beyoncé raised the caliber of the Super Bowl with this one, and I feel sorry for whoever has to top it next year.
In addition to all the craziness last night, Beyoncé announced her next world tour. 'The Mrs. Carter Show' will be coming to a city near you beginning in April. Unfortunately she's not coming anywhere near me, but I am going to do whatever it takes to see her. I haven't seen one of her shows yet so this one has to be it. 2013 is off to a great start for the Queen B, and it's only going to get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment