Tuesday, November 12, 2013

'Hard Out Here' by Lily Allen

Lily Allen may have just released the most important song of 2013. Having been absent from the music scene for the past 3 years, saying she retired to changing her name to Lily Rose Cooper, Lily's cheeky social commentary pop perfection has been missed. Her last album It's Not Me, It's You featuring hit songs like 'Not Fair' and 'Fuck You' is one of the best in recent memory and one of my favorite albums of all time. Lily doesn't take herself too seriously and isn't afraid to speak her mind. In her triumphant return to music, today she released her new single 'Hard Out Here' and boy does it pack a wallop. The song is basically a criticism of the pop music scene with Lily singing "I won’t be bragging ’bout my cars or talking ’bout my chains / Don’t need to shake my ass for you, ’cause I’ve got a brain" and "Don’t you want to have somebody who objectifies you? Have you thought about your butt? Who’s going to tear it in two?," the latter directly speaking to Robin Thicke's 'Blurred Lines' the video for which she also mimics as seen in the image below. Lily is basically tearing down singers like Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke and saying that you don't need to take part in these ridiculous antics to be a pop star. Do you think the auto-tune here is distracting and useless? Well, Lily's playing with everything and even the simple use of auto-tune is a statement she's trying to get across: Enough is enough. Lily Allen has always been one of my favorite artists, and as she proclaims "it's hard out here for a bitch," all I can say is that I'm glad the bitch is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment