Sunday, October 27, 2013

'Venus' by Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga is continuing her string of promo singles by releasing 'Venus' which she will be performing on The X Factor UK today. 'Venus' was originally meant to be the second single, but following the massive success 'Do What U Want' had on iTunes and the warm reception it had from music critics, Interscope decided to release the R. Kelly collaboration and capitalize on its overnight success. And I think they made the right decision after hearing 'Venus'. I'm totally in love with the song, and the more I listen to it the better it gets. But, 'Venus' isn't as commercial as 'Do What U Want' is. 'Venus' is much more experimental in its sound, its verses being largely a string of words/naming planets but it's when it gets to the chorus that things get crazy. Gaga's voice is on point (something that has been evident on all her other ARTPOP songs), and I love when she sings "Goddess of love / Take me to your leader." 'Venus' is an electro interplanetary march that is setting the bar high for ARTPOP, and Gaga isn't going to let us forget that "my ass is famous!"

No comments:

Post a Comment