Monday, August 18, 2014

'Break the Rules' by Charli XCX

Charli XCX is finally breaking out into the mainstream right now with her massive feature on Iggy Azalea's 'Fancy' and now her contribution to The Fault In Our Stars soundtrack 'Boom Clap' has peaked inside the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100. Oh, and don't forget that she co-wrote and produced Icona Pop's über hit 'I Love It'.

Even though she's been around for a decade and even released her debut album True Romance last year, she's really only making a name for herself as a budding pop star at the moment. Today she just announced that her second studio album Sucker will be out October 21st and she also dropped a new single.

I have to say that I've never liked any of Charli's solo music until 'Boom Clap'. I just never got into it, but 'Break the Rules' is making me a believer. Maybe it's the irreverent nature of the song that's got me hooked, but I like it,

Charli said that, "This song was written when I came out of the other side of that punk phase and translated it into something more pop. Obviously, it’s about not giving a fuck." Well there you have it. She sings about getting high, ditching school and not caring about any of it amid a slightly psychedelic rock backing. It's perfect for a bedroom performance rocking an air guitar.

Charli XCX's sophomore album Sucker is due out on October 21st.

No comments:

Post a Comment