Thursday, March 10, 2011

American Idol Top 13

American Idol demonstrated a major fact to me this week.  On Wednesday I had an extremely horrible day; it was just a culmination of everything bad.  Of course I was looking forward to Idol that night, and by the end of the show my foul mood had been completely erased.  American Idol truly demonstrated how important music is in my life.  I've always said that music never fails to cheer me up, and this was such a poignant event.  Like I said earlier, Idol this year is blazin'.  There is not one bad contestant, and last night those people put a smile on my face and made me feel happy.  What other greater gift is there than that of music?

Scotty McCreery
 
As you all know by now Scotty is my favorite.  His attitude is just perfect.  In his video he said that he is not going to change anything about himself, and that is the kind of thing I like in an artist.  He constantly shows his humbleness and his little ole country attitude.  He couldn't have picked a better song.  Garth Brooks was a perfect choice, and I loved that in this song Scotty engaged the audience.  He finally showed off his performing skills, and he quite simply smacked a smile across my face.

Paul McDonald
Once again Paul showed off his quirkiness.  Ryan's imitation of Paul after his performance was hysterical!  Paul's voice is just so captivating that you have to continue to listen; he just sucks you in.  I thought he picked another great song, but next week I really want to see him sing a ballad and see how he spices that up.

Thia Megia
I agreed with the judges 100% on this one.  The beginning half of the song was outstanding, while the latter half completely took me for a loop.  I was a little scared when I heard she was doing Michael Jackson, but this girl can sang!  The jazzy part of the song I didn't quite get, but I dug the rest of it.  The only qualm I have with her though is that I think she is a little naive.  Yes, she is only 16, but who doesn't know who Charlie Chaplin is?  Come on.  I still think she hasn't reached her full potential so I hope the producers really stretch her to new lengths.

Lauren Alaina
I must say, I was a little disappointed with Lauren this week.  She chose Shania Twain, which is in no way a bad thing, but I really don't see her as a country singer.  I think she would fare much better with a more rock edge.  I loved when she sang Aerosmith in her audition, but this just fell a little flat.

As a whole, the show was incredible.  The worst performances of the night definitely go to Ashton Jones and Stefano Langone.  I think Ashton can do a lot better, but I think she may be going home.  I just don't get Stefano and why everybody thinks he is so good.  I personally don't feel a connection with him when he sings.  If there's no connection then I can't like it.  He'll definitely be the first guy to go home, but it may still be a few weeks before we see that happen.  Who were your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment