Saturday, March 5, 2011

American Idol - Top 24


So, I thought I'd give you all my thoughts on American Idol. I've been watching AI since the second season, and I have never failed to watch it since.  With the exception of Adam Lambert, the last few season have been total snooze fests.  My whole family began to lose faith in the show, but this year it is almost like an entirely new venture.  While it's not totally amazing, it's definitely received a much needed face lift.  I definitely miss Simon, but luckily we get to see him this fall on The X Factor (which is 1000x better that Idol).  While I love J-Lo and Randy, Steven Tyler is definitely what is keeping the show interesting this year.  After finally getting to see who made it into the Top 13, I can most definitely say that this is the most talented group of kids EVER.  PERIOD.  While I may not like all the contestants, it is true that not one of them is bad singer.  Every year there is usually one or two people who did not deserve to be in the finals (remember Sanjaya?), but that luckily did not happen this year.  It seems like it is going to be a great year this year, and you all can look forward to weekly posts on Idol.  For right now I thought I'd let you know who my Top 4 favorites are.

Scotty McCreery

First up is Scotty.  This year he is my number one favorite contestant.  As you all have realized by now, country music is not my thing.  The only country I ever listen to is Carrie Underwood and Lady Antebellum.  I just don't care for it, but for some reason this little ole country boy is my favorite.  First off, he is one of the nicest and most genuine contestants that has ever been on this show.  The two other notables that come to mind are Carrie and Adam.  When finding a superstar, it is important to have these qualities.  No one likes a music icon who can't keep their trap shut and thinks they're the #1 artist in the world (Kanye, I'm looking at you).  The other thing about him is that he has an incredible voice.  For still being a teenager, he has an extremely deep voice, but it fits him perfectly.  It is silky smooth and it wets your appetite.  He lures you in and keeps you wanting more.  Anyone who can do that is a superstar.  It'll be interesting to see in the weeks to come how versatile he is, but I definitely think Scotty could come close to winning the competition. 

Paul McDonald

Paul is one of those unfortunate contestants that is kind of shoved into the woodwork in the very beginning and is not real well exposed.  Honestly, I had no clue who he was until Beatles Week.  When I saw him perform though, I knew instantly that he was one of my favorites.  He has an extremely unique voice that never leaves your head.  What I like most about him is his quirkiness.  Someone who is kind of awkward on stage and has an interesting quality to their voice lights my fire, and that's why I love Paul.  He is so different than what is the "norm" on AI that I think he brings a breath of fresh air to the ragged competition show.

Thia Megia

Thia is one of those rare gems that only come along once in a while.  For being only 15 years old, this girl has an immensely beautiful voice.  Her whole stage presence just draws you in and you can't wait to see what she's going to do next.  Out of my Top 4, I believe she is the most versatile, and I think she will only continue to grow throughout the competition.

Lauren Alaina

Powerhouse singer.  Rock chick.  Teenager.  I think that says it all.  When she first auditioned I was blown away.  She has a great rock voice, and when she sang with Steven Tyler it was magical.  I can't wait to see her continue in this competition and completely blow away the competition.  Out of all the women, I think she has the best voice.

Like I said earlier, I think this is the best season of American Idol ever.  It seems like it is going to be an amazing year, and I can't wait to see how this whole season plays out.  Don't forget to watch the results show this week because Adam Lambert is performing!  Who are you favorites?  Leave your comments below :)

1 comment:

  1. I haven't watched a whole bunch of Idol this year, just bits and pieces with my mom, but these four are definitely my (and my mom's) favorites too 8D.

    ReplyDelete