Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New Fall TV Shows

This fall brought along with it a slew of new TV shows so I thought I'd give you the low down on all the ones that I'm watching.  There are some great new additions this year so hopefully you can find something that suits your tastes!  I'll go Monday through Friday to make it easy to keep track.

Monday
Terra Nova
I have been dying to see this show ever since they started playing the ads for it back in early spring, and I definitely was not let down.  Everything from the plot line to the acting to the visual effects were on par for me.  Originally the first episode was more action than plot progression and it was not received favorably so they shot some new scenes and I can definitely say that they made a wise choice.  There are definitely some small items that confused me, but hopefully that will all be addressed later on.  Basically the plot in a nut shell is that in the year 2149 the people of Earth are finding that their world has gone irrevocably wrong and are trying to redress their wrongs by moving a select few people 85 million years in the past.  Complete with dinosaurs and all it seems like it's going to be the show to watch this year.

Tuesday
Ringer
Sarah Michelle Gellar is back on television!!!  The actor who portrayed Buffy the Vampire Slayer years ago has finally made her way back to television in the new drama 'Ringer'.  The show is about twin sisters Siobhan and Bridget who lead very different lives.  Siobhan fakes her death (without Bridget knowing so) and so Bridget decides to assume Siobhan's identity in order to live a more rewarding and fulfilling life.  Little does Bridget know, Siobhan is living the high life abroad and is "apparently" trying to kill her sister.  The premiere episode was a little rocky, but it has really gained momentum and I'm loving it.

New Girl
Who doesn't love Zooey Deschanel?  She is probably one of my favorite actresses, but her movies are too few and far between that I don't get enough of my Zooey fix.  Thankfully she's on every week now, and her show is actually hilarious!  So far it seems like it appeals to only a select set of people.  Either you find it hilarious or you find it so corny that it's unbearable.  Definitely check it out though; it's a fun comedy.

Wednesday
The X Factor
The premiere of 'The X Factor' USA finally came last week, but it was met with mixed reviews.  I definitely prefer the UK version more (so far!), but the show definitely has time to develop.  Let's face it, the UK version is on its eighth season and this one is only on its first.  I love that Simon and Paula are finally back on my television.  They are great as judges and they just make a great pair.  As much as I love the Pussycat Dolls, Nicole Scherzinger is more than welcome at any time to leave the show.  I find her so bland and boring; bring back Cheryl Cole!  Anyway, the show is everything it promised to be: bigger and better than 'American Idol'.  Let's see how this season goes and then at the end of the year I can accurately tell you which version I prefer more.

Thursday
Charlie's Angels
The original 'Charlie's Angels' series was hugely successful "back in the day", then the two movies released a few years ago reignited the spark (FYI, those are some of my favorite movies of all time), and now ABC has decided to bring it back into mainstream pop culture.  Drew Barrymore is one of the executive producers of the show so that definitely ignited my interest.  The season premiere wasn't as great as I thought it would be, at times it was corny, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.  Hopefully, as the show goes on, it will get better and better.  For right now it's okay, but it definitely needs to improve in order to stay on the air a long time.


Person of Interest
Remember Benjamin Linus from 'Lost'?  Well, Michael Emerson is back on TV and he could not be playing a better role.  This man is a genius and I am drawn into his character so easily it's astounding.  The show is a very interesting one, based on a machine that watches everyone's every move and identifies them by their social security number.  It was meant to stop terrorist attacks but it's evolved into something more threatening.  Bun, dun, dun!  But then you have your ordinary rogue cop brought in to do work in a secret organization.  It's all been done many times, but it is actually a great twist on the idea.  Very intriguing and I'm waiting to see where it leads.

Hope you enjoyed that and maybe now you have some new TV shows to watch!  My overall suggestion: 'Terra Nova' and 'Person of Interest'.  You won't be disappointed.  Once the final two shows ('Once Upon a Time' and 'Grimm') that I'm watching have premiered, I'll update this post with my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment