Friday, March 9, 2012

American Idol Season 11: Top 13

This week on American Idol the Top 13 took the stage in a rather unusual format.  This week the boys covered Stevie Wonder while the girls took on Whitney Houston.  The elimination process also changed with the Bottom Guy and Bottom Girl up for elimination with the judges choosing who to kick off.  It's an interesting thing to do Battle of the Sexes, but I think it worked well.  We all know there are quite a few who don't deserve to be there.  Overall it was a pretty good night with one outstanding performance.

Top 13

Elise Testone
I really loved Elise's performance this week.  Contrary to what the judges said, I think she really made it her own and turned it into a nice bluesy song which fit her voice.  It wasn't perfect, but it was better than quite a few of the other performances so I really don't understand why the judges tore into her like that.  She obviously wasn't comfortable with the song, but can you blame her?

Erika Van Pelt
Wow!  Erika really showed off what a gorgeous and multi-faceted voice she has with this performance.  I knew she was a powerful singer, but I didn't realize what a great range and beautiful tone in the low register she has.  She surprised me and I think she surprised everyone.  She totally owned that Whitney song.

Colton Dixon
My second favorite performance of the night came from Colton!  I was interested to see what he would do with a Stevie Wonder song since it's pretty much out of his wheel house, but boy did he take that song and make it into his own.  I was surprised to see him without the piano, but I think he actually performed better without it.  He really showed off his vocal ability with this performance, and I can't wait to see what he's going to do in the future because I have high hopes for him.  For me personally, I think he is the most original artist to be on this show since Adam Lambert.

Deandre Brackensick
Deandre totally switched it up this week.  I had no idea he was going to bring a reggae vibe to his song.  It was unexpected but very entertaining.  I've been a believer in him since last year so it's great to see what he has in store for us.  Last week was a little disappointing, but I think he really proved that he deserves to be here this week.

Skylar Laine
Holy mackerel this girl can SANG!  I never in a million years would have thought this little country girl would sing a Whitney song like that.  She has massive potential to be a huge star, and by singing so well in a completely different genre she reminds me of Kelly Clarkson.  Skylar may have more potential of winning than I originally thought.  Her performance was on fire, and that huge note towards the end that she belted out was crazy.

Heejun Han
Heejun is such a great comedian, but what he did this week was show everyone that he's a great singer.  He's definitely not the best, but he really delivered.  He served up a big ballad that I would have thought was way out of his comfort zone and he nailed it.  He still needs to work on enunciation, but I think if he keeps improving he's going to do really well.

Hollie Cavanagh
Hollie has a great big voice for such a little girl, and she proved once again that she can sing anything.  I thought she was even stronger this week, and she's really going to give the other girls a run for their money.  I think everyone underestimates her, but that could really work to her advantage in the weeks to come.  

Jessica Sanchez
This chick has got some pipes!!!  She took on the classic 'I Will Always Love You' which has rarely been done on this show and blew it out of the water.  I knew she was good but not this good.  That last note at the end where she climbed gave me goosebumps because it was so beautiful.  The only problem though is that she's too good too early.  I'm afraid she's going to be the Pia of this season and be shockingly eliminated in just three or four weeks.

Phillip Phillips
Phillip once again showed us that he has the whole package.  He was one of my favorites of the night, but I did feel like he went a little too over the top.  If he had scaled it back just a smidge it would have been perfect.  He's one of the few true artists on the show this year, and I can't wait to see how he's going to grow.

Just so you all know, I live tweet during the show so if you want to hear my comments as you're watching just follow me.  You get to hear my thoughts on the contestants who I don't blog about which can also be very interesting.  I also give my predictions as to who is going home since these recaps won't be up until after the results have aired.  I definitely thought Jeremy was the worst of the night and deserved to go home which he ended up doing.  I was a little surprised that Elise was the Bottom Girl because I thought Shannon was absolutely horrendous, but luckily the judges didn't let Elise go.  See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment