Wednesday, May 16, 2012

American Idol 2012: Top 6

This week on American Idol, the Idols took on a song from the legendary band Queen, as well as a song of their own choosing. Overall, I think the contestants did a very good job. Queen is always difficult to sing simply because of Freddie Mercury, but some of the contestants blew me away. The songs of their own choosing is where contestants got to shine because they chose songs that showed them off as artists. It was a really great night.

Jessica Sanchez
Jessica had one of the worst Queen performances. Her first mistake was choosing 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. That is just not a song that can be condensed to two minutes and be done well. On top of that, she tried to sing it in her signature style, and she completely butchered it. I was actually cringing during the performance. I would say this is her worst to date.

Skylar Laine
Skylar came out rockin' once again, and she did my favorite Queen song spectacularly well. At first I didn't think it was going to work, but she surprised me. The ending of the song brought everything to a whole new level, and she blew me away. 

Elise Testone
My girl Elise had the best Queen performance by a mile! The uptempo rock thing is definitely her schtick, and here she pulled it off flawlessly. I live for her raspy vocals, and she delivered. This is one of those performances that shows how incredible of a talent she really is.

Phillip Phillips
Out of the hundreds of songs he could have chosen, Phillip picked 'Fat Bottomed Girls'? Really?! This has to be one of the worst song choices ever, and Phillip dug his grave with it. I actually didn't even like his vocals which is surprising. I didn't think Phillip could flop this hard.

Hollie Cavanagh
I love Hollie, but this performance wasn't as up to par as it could have been. She definitely has some strong pipes, but she could have taken it even further. I just want her to connect more emotionally, and then she could be one of the frontrunners.

Jessica Sanchez
Wise choice, Miss Sanchez. She went for the sympathy vote for this one and I was ready to hate on her for it, but she delivered one of her best performances in weeks. I have grown tired of Jessica, but this one brought back some of the love I used to have for her.

Skylar Laine
We're goin' back to country, ya'll! There's no doubt Skylar was born to sing country, and I thought this was a rather good performance. I thought the judges were way too hard on her. Yes, it wasn't as good as the Queen song, but it was more than just solid.

Elise Testone
Elise SLAYED it once again! Holy mackerel this girl is talented. This may have been her best night here on Idol. She took an incredibly hard song to sing, and busted it out like it was nobody's business. I don't know what Randy and Steven were hearing when she sang, but they were completely off the mark. She killed it and did better than anyone on that stage that night.

Phillip Phillips
This was soooooo boring. For so late into the show he almost put me to sleep. Again, one of his weakest performances. I'm surprised because Phillip is one of the most talented artists on the show this season, but he had an off night. It was all kinds of bad this week.

Hollie Cavanagh
Where has this Hollie been for most of the competition?!?! This is what I have been waiting for for weeks now. She came out, confident, and laid her soul on the stage with that number. She sang circles around Miley Cyrus, and did the best rendition of that song I have heard to date. Perfection!

All the love for Joshua is really getting on my nerves. I can't stand him and just wish he'd go home now. Based on these performances I would say the Bottom Three is Phillip, Jessica and Joshua with Phillip going home. We all know that would never happen, right? Of course my girl Elise is eliminated on her strongest night of the competition. She put everyone to shame with her performances this week, and it is so unfair that she was eliminated. My two favorites eliminated two weeks in a row. Ugh, I hate you right now Idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment