Sunday, July 22, 2012

Songs from My Childhood: 'Bye Bye Bye'

After Britney's 'Oops!...I Did It Again' introduced me to the world of the late '90s/early '00s pop music, it was only a matter of time before I found *NSYNC. Made up of Justin Timberlake, JC Chasez, Chris Kirkpatrick, Joey Fatone and Lance Bass, the boyband has and will always be my favorite boyband. Their music was so indicative of the period and really provides a nostalgic rush when you listen to their songs. The lead single off their sophomore effort No Strings Attached became one of my all-time favorite songs. 'Bye Bye Bye' is still one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard, and to this day I can still sing all the words despite not having listened to it in years. The song only reached #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, but it propelled the album to #1 on the Billboard 200 chart and caused the album to sell 2.4 million copies in its first week! To this day, *NSYNC still hold the record as having the only CD to sell over 2 million copies in one week. That is an incredible feat, and just goes to show how influential and popular *NSYNC was. The band actually gave Britney's career a kickstart when they had her be the opening act on their second tour. We are finally witnessing the long-awaited return of boybands, but I don't think anything will ever be the same as the early 2000s.

No comments:

Post a Comment