Friday, July 20, 2012

Songs from My Childhood: 'Oops!...I Did It Again'

I think it'll come as no surprise that the second song in my "Songs from My Childhood" series is from the one and only, Britney Spears. Britney was the first person in music that I ever idolized and fell in love with. One day I was watching TV, and the video for 'Oops!...I Did It Again' came on, and as I saw this girl singing fantastic bubblegum pop music in a futuristic video I was entranced. I quickly got the album and started learning all the lyrics to all of her songs. I remember watching her performances on award shows, waiting for the premieres of her new videos on MTV, and performing concerts in my room. This singular song introduced me to my favorite singer of all time, and also sucked me into the world of pop music. The song, released in 2000, went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, was nominated for a Grammy, was the title track of Britney's sophomore album which sold over 1.3 million copies in the first week making it the highest selling album in one week by a female artist ever, and was used during one of Spears' most shocking performances of her career. Britney proved then why she was an unstoppable force in music, and she to this day has proven why she is the Princess of Pop.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment