Monday, September 3, 2012

'Girl On Fire (Inferno Version)' by Alicia Keys featuring Nicki Minaj

Alicia Keys is getting ready to release her new album Girl On Fire, and just this morning the first single and title track premiered. Alicia is releasing three versions of the song: the original version, a solo 'Blue Light' version and the 'Inferno' version which features Nicki Minaj. I'm not sure what the purpose of the three versions are, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. The 'Inferno Version' was released this morning, but I'm not really sure if I like it yet. I think it's one of those songs that will take multiple listens to finally make a decision. Usually for her first single, Alicia goes a very mainstream route with a big, catchy tune that will get people's attention. I don't think 'Girl On Fire' really achieves that. It's a very laid back song that doesn't really excite me. I do like the chorus because Alicia's voice is so beautiful and it gets stuck in your head, but other than that the song is just very "blah" for me. I thought that the addition of Nicki would elevate it to another level, but sadly, it did not. Nicki definitely tried to stay true to the song and I thought her verses were very well done, but because of the song's feel it's not Roman letting the crazy out so it's not really going to grab anyone's attention and make them want to listen to it over and over again. We'll see what the other versions of the song have to offer, and I'll make my final decision then. Don't forget to watch the MTV VMA's this Thursday night where Alicia will be performing her new song. It's sure to be a fantastic night!

No comments:

Post a Comment