Thursday, August 30, 2012

America's Got Talent 2012: Semi-Finals, Pt. 1

I've refrained from blogging about this year's America's Got Talent for two reasons. Firstly, each episode there's usually only a couple acts that I like so it's not even worth it to blog about. Secondly, the whittling down of the acts takes forever. I mean really, six weeks of quarterfinals plus all the auditions and Vegas week shows before we even get to the semi-finals?! That's just ridiculous. But, alas, we have finally reached the stage where we're down to 24 acts competing for spots in the finale, and so now I find it manageable and worthwhile to blog. So what have been my thoughts on this season so far? I think it's the best season yet. There has been tons of talent this year and it's been amazing to watch some of these people blossom into the incredible acts they are. The arrival of Howard Stern has me conflicted. On one hand I despise the man because of his horrible attitude as he is always putting others down and is just not a nice person. On the other hand, he's an honest judge, and I've agreed with 90% of his critiques and decisions (EXCEPT for bringing back the horrible act Horse). And I've loved Sharon even more this year, but that only makes it worse since she'll be leaving the show after this season. She's my favorite judge on this show so it'll be sad to see her go. Ready for my first AGT blog of this year? Here we go!

Andrew DeLeon
I've loved Andrew DeLeon since his first audition with his distinct look and jarring operatic voice. Last week he was good, but pitchy. This week I thought he was fantastic. He sang 'Ave Maria' and did it beautifully. I really wish he could have advanced, but he was up against some stiff competition. He's a unique talent, and it's amazing that there's a talent show where opera singers can get their chance in the spotlight.


Todd Oliver
Todd Oliver and his talking dog Irving have really grown on me over the past few weeks, but this week I didn't care for the act. It was really cheesy, and nowhere near as funny as his Presidential performance. It's a fun act, but I don't think he could headline a show in Vegas.


Donovan and Rebecca
These two blow me away every time they perform. During their last performance I was almost moved to tears. It's incredible how they can take a strength act and make you feel all these emotions deep inside. This act was incredible once again. And Rebecca did it in high heels! These two are stunning performers and they deserve a show in Vegas.


Scott Brothers
The Scott Brothers wowed everyone a few weeks ago with their stationary hat trick, and this week they out-shined themselves. They were basically statues/mannequins that came to life, and they blew me away. What they can do is jaw-dropping, and I really felt that they deserved one of the spots in the finale. What Howie rambled on about needing the "one trick" was completely stupid when these guys are as good as they are. They were outstanding.


Eric Dittelman
Every week Eric Dittelman comes out he leaves the audience bewildered. How he can read minds and do what he does on stage is inconceivable. Once again he topped himself by recreating Howard's drawing before Howard even did it. Dittelman is a genius and he was another one who deserved to be in the finale more than the others.


Turf
Turf has been one of my favorite contestants since the very beginning. He comes out every week and has us crying out in pain but at the same time leaves us awestruck. The things he can do with his body are crazy, and while he may be repeating a lot of the same stuff each week, it's still fun to watch because his timing and interaction with the audience are impeccable.


Joe Castillo
Joe Castillo is the sand artist who moves people in a way that I never thought possible. Every week he tells a new story that captures America's heart, and it's really a beautiful thing to watch. I'm amazed at the ease with which he creates these pictures. I didn't think his performance this week was as good as his past ones, but it still was very good. I don't think he deserves a spot in the finale though.


William Close
William Close is a genius. I have never seen anything like this before. He creates instruments that fill the room and incorporate the performance space. I wish I could be there to feel the reverberations and the music because I'm sure it's a special feeling. This week he once again stepped up his game and took his performance to another level. Out of all the acts this week, his is the only one that I would pay to go see in Vegas.


Tom Cotter
Tom is a hilarious comedian with his wordplay, and he cracks me up every single week. This week he asked Howie to pick a category and then he just did his routine off the top of his head and on the spot. That in and of itself was incredible. And then he was just as funny as ever. My whole family was laughing uncontrollably, and then when Nick was reading off the phone number to vote Tom about killed us all with his hilarious stunts. Another great performance.


This week on AGT, the Top 4 acts were revealed and then the Top 2 automatically went through with the judges choosing the third act. My picks were Eric Dittelman, William Close and Tom Cotter. The acts that made it through were William Close, Tom Cotter and Joe Castillo who the judges picked over Todd Oliver. I agree with the results except for Joe Castillo. This was a tough night of competition and to only pick three acts was a little brutal. Next week, I only like four of the twelve acts so hopefully my picks will make it through. Judging by the acts that have made it through so far, the finale is going to be very diverse and chock full of talent, probably the most talent-filled finale in history. Check back next week for my next AGT blog!

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to read these. Like I am way too excited right now.
    YAY AGT <3

    ReplyDelete