Wednesday, May 15, 2013

'Dirty Laundry' by Kelly Rowland

I can't put into words how amazing this song is. I know I'm the King of Hyperbole, but this is no joke. I have not heard such an emotionally raw and real song like this in a very long time. Kelly Rowland is going back to her R&B roots for this album, leaving the dance tracks at home. At first I was hesitant about this idea because I think she succeeds in the dance genre, but if the rest of the album is going to be like this then I have no qualms. 'Dirty Laundry' is the most personal record Kelly has ever released. It actually took her over a dozen tries just to lay down her vocals without sobbing. It's an emotional roller coaster that starts after she released her debut album and she had to watch her best friend Beyoncé conquering the world while she was on the sidelines being ignored. It quite frankly was a dark time for Kelly as she sings, “When my sister was on stage / killing it like a mother fucker / I was in a rage / feeling it like a motherfucker.” The song then takes an ever darker turn when she starts singing about an abusive relationship she was in where the man was "hitting the window like it was me / And still it shattered. He pulled me out and said 'Don’t nobody love you but me / Not your mama / Not your daddy / and especially not Bey.'" It's a disturbing track to say the least, and I'm actually sitting here feeling violated with tears rolling down my cheeks as I write this. Kelly is on her game this time around, and I just pray she gets the recognition she deserves. She's a star who is no longer in Bey's shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment