Saturday, August 10, 2013

'Roar' by Katy Perry

Katy Perry has been teasing the first single off her upcoming third studio album, Prism, with video teasers for the past week, preparing for the single's release on Monday. The teasers have been promising a brand new Katy: this time she's supposed to be darker, more mature, and she's leaving that cutesy Teenage Dream Katy behind. The new single 'Roar' is supposed to mark the beginning of this change, and as with everything else in music, the track leaked this morning. And I have to say that I'm not too impressed with it. It definitely seems like Katy's going back more to her One of the Boys sound where there were more guitars, and a more natural sound to it all, as opposed to the cotton candy production of Teenage Dream. 'Roar' goes back to this same vein, but I think it's weaker than all the singles she has released thus far. It's got a great message for standing up and being who you are, "I've got the eye of the tiger, the fire" but it's just not exciting. And what's worse is that the beginning of the song sounds awfully similar to Sara Bareilles's 'Brave'. It's definitely catchy and I know the more I listen to it I'm going to like it, it's just that she can do so much better than this. I like the direction she's taking for Prism, but she needs stronger material and there's absolutely no way she is going to compete with Lady GaGa. Katy picked the absolute worst time to release her new music.

No comments:

Post a Comment