Monday, June 30, 2014

'Angeles' by Wrathschild

 
Wrathschild are easily my favorite thing to happen to music this year. Comprised of indie music star Wolfy and minor league pop phenom, the delectable Simon Curtis, the electro-pop duo blew everyone away with their ode to '80s romance 'Fall Into Love'. Their electro-pop debut single is one of my favorite songs of the year, one which I still play on a daily basis, and I have been dying to hear more from them. When they announced their second single I went back and listened to Simon's diva-licious discography to quench some of my desire for more.

At last, Wrathschild's second single 'Angeles' has dropped. The song is a bittersweet ode to the land of dreams and heartbreak, L.A. In an interview with The Advocate, Curtis had this to say: “L.A. is both the city of dreams and the city of broken dreams. You could say the song is our diary, our experience. It’s an anthem dedicated to that feeling of loving and loathing Los Angeles." 

The song is a mid-tempo unlike their upbeat lead single, but the throbbing beat and the tribal drums lend an ethereal vibe to the song. Just like 'Fall Into Love', things get really beautiful during the bridge. Wolfy and Simon's vocals fade in and collide à la Ellie Goulding, and the song rises to an insurmountable peak. As beautiful as it sounds, the repeating "Wish that I had never met you" at the end leaves the vibe in a bittersweet place just like Curtis spoke about.

The duo are currently finishing up their debut EP, and they'll be embarking on a promo tour soon. I hope they come to NYC because you can guarantee I'll be there front and center supporting both of these immense talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment