Saturday, April 14, 2012

American Idol Season 11: Top 7

This week on American Idol, the Top 7 took on the Songs of This Decade (2010, 2011 and 2012), basically anything current.  This is always my favorite theme because it allows the contestants to showcase who they really are since they're actually signing music that is relevant today.  For the most part all the contestants did a pretty good job, but the results show was the most interesting to watch.

Skylar Laine
This is definitely one of Skylar's best performances to date.  She showed control and restraint with that song which is something I haven't really seen from her before.  She definitely showcased herself as an artist with this performance, and I think if she can do more performances like this one then she could find herself in the Top 4.

Colton Dixon
Another amazeballs performance!  I love when he just sits at the piano and plays a haunting ballad.  His voice is unique and really lends itself to songs like these.  As this competition is progressing I'm believing more and more that he can win the show.  He's not overly pimped by the judges like Jessica, Joshua and Phillip which will work to his advantage in the end.  Can't wait to see him take the crown!

Elise and Phillip
One of the best duets this season.  Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used to Know' is exploding, and Elise and Phillip did a great rendition of it.  It was no doubt chosen to benefit Elise and give her the upper edge this week, but I did't mind that all because Elise did a great job.  Phillip was just kind of there, but when he did sing it was interesting.  Great overall, though.

Jessica Sanchez
Jessica once agains sing the heck out of the song and showcases her vocal prowess.  It is no doubt she's the best technical singer in this competition, but the performance wasn't a stand out to me.  Her vocals were amazing and I loved the scatting, but after having watched all the other performances Jessica's was forgettable.

Colton and Skylar
These two make such a great duo.  They remind me a lot of Scotty and Lauren from last year because they seem like best friends and are even better singing partners.  I disagree totally with the judges though.  I thought Colton was much better than Skylar on this one.  She just had too many pitch issues.

Hollie Cavanagh
This was a vocal performance 10x better than last week's, but the biggest issue I had with it was that it was so smooth.  There was no grit and heartache behind it.  This is Hollie's biggest downfall: there's no emotion.  She is by far the weakest contestant left simply because of this reason.

Phillip Phillips
I could not disagree with the judges more.  This is the version of Phillip that I like the most.  He leaves the grit and graveliness to a minimum.  I thought the moody interpretation of the classic Maroon 5 song was flawless.  He definitely has a shot at winning this, but I think the over-pimping by the judges will be his demise.

Hollie, Joshua and Jessica
This take on Kelly Clarkson definitely wasn't the best choice, but it could have been worse.  I thought Hollie really shined and she was the star of the trio.  If she did more songs like this she wouldn't be faltering like she is now.  Jessica was totally cast to side both literally and figuratively in this performance.  You could tell she doesn't belong.

Elise Testone
The producers really want her to stay in this competition, don't they?  She sings a duet where it's basically just her, and then she gets the pimp spot again soon after the first time.  I can't complain, though, because I want her in the Final Two with Colton.  I didn't think the performance was as great as the judges made it out to be.  Elise's voice just isn't cut out to sing that kind of song.

Overall, it was a very good night.  Joshua was absolutely atrocious.  I thought that was by far his worst performance to date.  He has a creepy vibe to him that I just can't shake, and when he was out there gyrating and pretending to be Bruno Mars the creep factor skyrocketed.  It was terrible.  Based on the performances I predicted that the Bottom Three would be Joshua, Skylar and Hollie with Hollie being eliminated.  Boy was I surprised!  Before the Results Show started Thursday night the news circulated that it would be a "shocking" elimination.  This led me to believe it would be either Joshua or Jessica.  The overdone and tiresome Huff was implemented, and when Jessica was on the chopping block I wasn't surprised.  She was a total outcast in her trio the night before, and it is clear she's a loner in the competition.  To me she has no personality, and thus will not win this show.  The judges were of course going to save her but their over-the-top antics at the end were sickening.  Telling us she's the "best singer in America" is a little far-fetched.  I think she may last two or three weeks and then she's done.  Hopefully Joshua goes home next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment