Monday, July 23, 2012

Songs from My Childhood: 'I Want It That Way / Larger Than Life'

No list of songs from the late '90s / early 2000s could be complete without the Backstreet Boys. The Backstreet Boys began in 1993 and consists of A.J. McLean, Howie Dorough, Brian Littrell, Nick Carter and Kevin Richardson. They hit their mainstream success with the release of the 2000 album Millennium from which both of these songs come from. As much as I love *NSYNC and prefer them, it is undeniable that the Backstreet Boys were one of the most influential acts in music at the time, and they have sold over 130 million records making them the best-selling boyband of all time. They are still together making music and are set to receive their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame next year. When thinking about writing this post I just couldn't decide which song to pick. 'I Want It That Way' is arguably their best-selling song having gone to #1 in over 25 countries, but 'Larger Than Life' is my personal favorite of theirs. 'I Want It That Way' is one of those songs that is eponymous with the band, and everyone, no matter how old or young, seems to know the words. The song was nominated for three Grammys, and its video was on TRL's Top 10 most iconic videos list. 'Larger Than Life', which followed the release of 'I Want It That Way' is one of those songs that I'll remember for the rest of my life. It's one of those songs that just defines my childhood through and through. The song, unfortunately, peaked at #25 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, but the video broke the record for the longest #1 streak on MTV's TRL. No matter what, the Backstreet Boys are the most popular boyband of all-time and they defined my, and so many other's, childhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment