Sunday, July 6, 2014

'BO$$' by Fifth Harmony

Fifth Harmony may have been the pieced-together girl group from The X Factor whose advancement in the competition gave us one of the best Britney Spears reaction GIFs, but they've come a long way since then. They released their debut EP Better Together last year which was actually a very strong effort, and then they followed it up with no less than four re-releases of the original EP. But now they're back, completely (well, almost) rebranded.

While tracks like 'Miss Movin' On' and 'Me & My Girls' were total sugary pop bops, the first single off their upcoming debut LP is giving us

'BO$$' kicks off with a large screeching horn, not unlike the recent slew of singles capitalizing on that at the moment, the horn then segueing in a hip-hop romp not unlike Little Mix's hit 'Salute'. While it's not original, it's a smart move for the girls, pushing them into a more sophisticated league.

But the lyrics counteract that. The song is meant to be a Destiny's Child-like female empowerment anthem (which you know I'm a sucker for), but the lyrics are very childish. The chorus revolves around "Boss… Michelle Obama / Purse so heavy gettin’ Oprah dollas." And then it's just too many pop culture references. I don't see any growth in the content of their songs.

So I'm a bit conflicted. It's a hot beat as they're moving more towards the likes of Danity Kane, but the lyrics are still very amateur. I'm sure the video will be Maxim sexy and I'm sure I'll fawn over it, but for now I'm underwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment