Saturday, October 18, 2014

'Baby Don't Lie' by Gwen Stefani

I still can't put into words that feeling when I first heard 'Hollaback Girl' playing on the radio. I was in elementary school and it was during a time when music wasn't doing much, and suddenly that song was like the second coming of Christ. Ever since then I've been a mega Gwen fan (even though I'd loved No Doubt for years before that).

Her albums Love. Angel Music. Baby. and The Sweet Escape are highly underrated pieces of pop perfection, and it's been a very long time since Gwen the Pop Star has blessed our ears with new music. 'Early Winter' was last released in 2008, and even though we got a No Doubt reunion in the meantime, music hasn't been the same. But with her addition to The Voice judging panel this year, it's time for the 'Rich Girl' to make her return.

'Baby Don't Lie' is her comeback single and it just leaked online this morning. Produced by Benny Blanco and co-written by Ryan Tedder, the song is a complete smash. Listening to it for the first time gave me chills, hearing the understated and cool club beat build up before Gwen's signature voice comes up giving the song its vitality.

It definitely has some of her No Doubt reggae sound to it, but it also has hints of Maroon 5 and Rihanna's 'Te Amo'. It's not a crazy smasher like 'Wind It Up' or 'Hollaback Girl', but I think this is going to be a perfect radio song to reintroduce her to the masses. I'm so happy with this perfection.

Gwen Stefani's third studio album is expected to be released in early 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment